Purchasing plaster molds for bonsai pots

I've seen a few you tube vids of bonsai pot makers in Japan using large plaster molds with smaller "inserts" for the feet, and a top ring mold for the rim. They hand build with slabs and coils, not slip casting. I have seen lots of hump/slump molds for sale but none with the detail parts for feet and lip. These molds in the vids had 4 pieces. That fit together. I hope ive described these well enough. You tube search for tokoname bonsai pot masters

The only purpose of a mold (IMO) is mass production.  Unless you want to produce a catalog sale item, the challenge of handbuilding is a viable option.  Lots of skill sets to learn along that way as well.  At least you don't have to store plaster molds that way.

I've watched those videos also, and there are a lot of parts of the process that they don't show, especially the large pieces.  I make planters just about every way they can be made (ceramic) and I'm challenged to the point of failure frequently, especially large pieces.  Start small and have lots of plants to enjoy in your own pots.

Point being making molds, slip, hump, slump, press, each present their own set of problems.  Before we get to the actual clay part of the problems.    Especially the size that these videos show.  It looks like a simpler way to make a big pot, but if you look at the details, it is not.

Right, you can't buy molds like that.  The molds these bonsai pot makers are using are works of art of themselves.  Using them is a very special skill set.

I have been handbuilding with slabs and coils. No moulds, just templates made of cardboard. The sizes and shapes im okay with. Its the rims and feet that i just cant get nice tight edges.. i would like to make multiples of the same piece. But i dont want to become an expert mould maker. I wanna move onto the clay. I'd like to turn out enough of these to experiment with raku finishing. And yes, I've got lots of plants for all the "happy accidents" along the way

4 hours ago, Grog2020 said:

I'd like to turn out enough of these to experiment with raku finishing.

I don't know if it matters with bonsai, but Raku pots are still porous. And the copper flashing glazes could leach into the plants, which I'm sure wouldn't be good for them.

1 hour ago, LeeU said:

I used one of those molds-very much like the second one-when I was still throwing pots (I rarely throw anymore) and they were just great. Looked good and were quick & simple to affix. 

I have the fancy feet ones and they do look great.  Especially them feet on a bonsai pot.

Archived