Plastic / rubber seal for jars

I'm planning to make some jars with an air tight seal. So I'll throw a lid with a little channel trimmed out to hold a thin plastic or rubber stretchy seal. It would be around 100mm inside diameter, 120mm outside diameter and probably 2mm thick. A bit like the rubber on top of a kilner jar but without the bit to grab it with. 

Any ideas what materials or terms I need to search for this type of thing? Maybe someone has done a similar thing.

I've been using the term gasket but that shows up mainly the thick type things you use in metal espresso pots. 

2 hours ago, tomhumf said:

I'm planning to make some jars with an air tight seal. So I'll throw a lid with a little channel trimmed out to hold a thin plastic or rubber stretchy seal. It would be around 100mm inside diameter, 120mm outside diameter and probably 2mm thick. A bit like the rubber on top of a kilner jar but without the bit to grab it with. 

Any ideas what materials or terms I need to search for this type of thing? Maybe someone has done a similar thing.

I've been using the term gasket but that shows up mainly the thick type things you use in metal espresso pots. 

Lots of sources for gaskets, Amazon for one. Wire bail mason jar wires and gasket sets probably alibaba at this point. Used to buy them online for  throw to fit wire projects etc.... search for Something to the effect of wire bail Mason jar hardware should eventually yield  a source. Food grade silicone  o rings also widely available

451F7FEE-FAD2-4775-AD84-D5BCC8E57578.jpeg

3057887B-06BE-4EDC-B9C7-A5B3BFB2EDDD.jpeg

3CB5A7B6-4A3C-4309-9B15-E99D9BADC91A.jpeg

That helps thanks Bill, those on Amazon work out about £2 each for the UK though. I'll try hunt some cheaper ones down. I've sent a message to a company on Alibaba, never used it before but might try if the price is right. 

16 hours ago, liambesaw said:

canning aisle of your local grocery/everything store

Most shops in the UK barely stock jam pot covers, let alone a whole canning aisle.  

Two nations divided by a common language - lol :D

4 hours ago, Chilly said:

Most shops in the UK barely stock jam pot covers, let alone a whole canning aisle.  

Two nations divided by a common language - lol :D

Food preservation aisle?  Heh.  You know... The one with the aluminium foil and ziploc bags and so forth... They can't be that rare, can they?

Thanks, I ended up getting quotes from manufacturers of food quality seals. I got 100 for around 70p each which I'm ok with. I got them made the same dimensions as the hornsea seals so people can get replacements easy if they ever need. 

Archived