Propane gas pressure sensor

Still thinking about charting my firings.

Looking at the gas pressure gauge on my kiln, I rarely exceed 200" WC, so is there a pressure sensor specifically for propane or would I just use the common 0-100 psi gauge?   Does a sensor like this require an external power supply to send a signal?

53 minutes ago, CactusPots said:

Still thinking about charting my firings.

Looking at the gas pressure gauge on my kiln, I rarely exceed 200" WC, so is there a pressure sensor specifically for propane or would I just use the common 0-100 psi gauge?   Does a sensor like this require an external power supply to send a signal?

Plenty of sensors out there. 200” wc is 200/12 = 16.66 feet which 16.6/ 2.31 is just over 7PSI. Seems to be some confusion here on measuring units and this actually comes up often so maybe this helps others:

• Inches of water-are for very small pressures - gas, ductwork Etc...  (Inches of Wc). It is the pressure needed to raise a column of water a certain number of inches in height.
  • Feet of water - still small pressure usually for measurement of pumping fluids and relates well to how much work a pump has to do as in lift the water 10 feet up and pump it out. 1 foot of Wc = 12inches Wc And would be the pressure necessary to raise a water column 1 foot or 12” in height.
  • PSI - pounds per square inch for medium to higher pressures. It takes 2.31 feet per PSI or 27.72” of Wc to equal 1 Psi.

For kiln operators this becomes confusing actually as propane tank pressures are high as in PSI so they can store a bunch of propane in a cylinder  but most burner pressures are low as in inches of water column. Occasionally though economy propane burners will be sized with really tiny orifices and operate in PSI. Yikes!

Post a picture of your guage. Sensors are ordered by range as close as practical to the range of what they are intended to monitor. This ensures better accuracy but also means having an accurate idea of the True operating pressure is important. And yes these pressure sensors require a power supply of some sort. They will  Generally convert pressure to 0-10vdc or 0-20 ma.

19 minutes ago, CactusPots said:

image.png.83b0ddeef2e9058571d2aff7d72e990c.png

At 1600, I run the gas needle straight up and then the only adjustment is to slowly back off the damper to cone 10

Ahh,

The  inside ring is mm of water, the outside ring is inches of water so you max out at about  8 Inches of water which would be typical!

quick scan, I find a  0-100 inches sensor in voltage or current output. Maybe 130.00 bucks but needs power and something  to connect to. A good range would be 0-10” inches for greater precision but probably hard to find especially with a high burst pressure.

https://cdn.automationdirect.com/static/specs/prosensetransmitters.pdf

Archived