DTC800C Controller replacement

Suze M

Hi all, I hope things are getting better for you all with COVID19.:wub:

I have a problem with my small single phase Paragon TNF-82 electric pottery kiln (photos attached)  – parts of the digital display in the controller (Orton DTC-800C) have burnt out making it difficult to programme or see what the temperature it is at etc.   I'm getting really confused with the terminology but can anyone please help me with advice for a suitable replacement control panel or upgrade (brand and model pretty please) that will easily fit the existing controller box.  Also the name of a supplier so I can see if they will ship to NZ.  Many thanks for your advice -  this is an awesome website :)

Take care,

Suze

Controller photo - DTC800C.jpg

Failing LCD.JPG

Kiln plate.jpg

Photo of kiln.jpg

1 hour ago, Suze M said:

Hi all, I hope things are getting better for you all with COVID19.:wub:

I have a problem with my small single phase Paragon TNF-82 electric pottery kiln (photos attached)  – parts of the digital display in the controller (Orton DTC-800C) have burnt out making it difficult to programme or see what the temperature it is at etc.   I'm getting really confused with the terminology but can anyone please help me with advice for a suitable replacement control panel or upgrade (brand and model pretty please) that will easily fit the existing controller box.  Also the name of a supplier so I can see if they will ship to NZ.  Many thanks for your advice -  this is an awesome website :)

Take care,

Suze

Controller photo - DTC800C.jpg

Failing LCD.JPG

Kiln plate.jpg

Photo of kiln.jpg

The etc 800 shares the same foot print and was made by the Bartlett controller company. The model most common for many years now is the V6-CF. Size wise it is the same footprint, but connection wise you will need to follow the Bartlet tech manual as there have been improvements in capability and the terminals may slightly differ. Google Bartlett V6-cf and you should find a number of resources available that can ship to you. Manuals for the Bartlett control are available for download  On their website and contain all sorts of good firing info.

Bartlett controls https://www.bartinst.com/kilns

Just now, neilestrick said:

@Suze M @Bill Kielb The DTC controllers have a slightly different footprint than the V6-CF, and Paragon uses a wiring harness with two connector blocks rather than screw terminal connectors. You can either get a new controller directly from Paragon, or you can get a Bartlett RTC-1000, which will be cheaper.

Good catch!  Briefly looked at the paragon site and didn’t notice the cable diff.

Just now, Bill Kielb said:

Good catch!  Briefly looked at the paragon site and didn’t notice the cable diff.

The DTC are just slightly different in size, just enough to be annoying. Bartlett can supply them with either the Paragon connectors or with the screw connector terminals like the V6-CF.

Archived