potential remote learning art packs?

Hello, I am a public high school ceramic and sculpture teacher. We have been told remote learning may continue for next year so I wanted to create art packs for my classes for the students to take home this time, since now I have some time to prepare. What would you guys recommend to put in these art packs for kids to pick up and take home to create their art projects remotely?

Welcome to the forums. A little more info might be helpful. What is the age range of the students, what is their level of experience/previous training,  what are some core criteria must they meet for their grades, are they making non-clay art with the packs and/ or are they using self-drying clay?  About how much do you have to spend per pack?

On 5/15/2020 at 9:29 PM, LeeU said:

Welcome to the forums. A little more info might be helpful. What is the age range of the students, what is their level of experience/previous training,  what are some core criteria must they meet for their grades, are they making non-clay art with the packs and/ or are they using self-drying clay?  About how much do you have to spend per pack?

They are high school students grades 9-12. This class is the second level art class, they need to pass intro to art to enroll. They have very basic knowledge of clay/ceramics from intro just like pinch method scoring slipping and wedging. I typically have them work on pinch, coil, slab, wheel throwing and decorating techniques with glazes. The sculpture projects I have them do plaster, cardboard, fused glass, wire and fiber. I will have around 50 or so kids for ceramics for the first semester. My district likes to not give us the budget until after school has started, yeah I know... So I just order what I need. So far I was thinking paper clay, modeling clay, a sewing kit for fiber, possibly reeds or weaving materials maaayyybeee 3-4 lbs of stone ware clay with tools. other sculpture materials and fabric I know they can find at home, like newspaper pottery and paper mache along with cardboard 

I just dont know how to handle the stoneware clay, would I have them keep recycling the clay for each project, or have them drop off their work to be fired? This I am still contemplating 

I'm kind of in the same boat @pixelcat402.

For the end of this year, we just essentially cut off grading, after the schools closed, and the students got the grade they were at.  We could offer additional work, but the students weren't required to do it.

We are very much looking at a similar situation for next year.  I too am trying to figure out how I can engage the students, when they are working from home.  This is especially true, if the year STARTS digitally.  If I met them in person, I could get them materials, but if we never meet, things are more difficult.

I am thinking that I could start by going over terminology, demo the techniques, and have them work on sketches for the actual projects.  Beyond that, no sure what they could do...

I am glad to find this discussion here. I am in a very similar situation. The end of this year was mostly enrichment activities because we could not get supplies home to students. The possibility of starting next year remotely is a completely different situation. I teach 9-12 Ceramics 1, 2 &3. We have about 250 students spread across 16 sections of half year courses. We are certainly considering putting together some type of supply pack for students to take home but the reality of students working with clay in a wide variety of domestic situations is daunting. I have considered buying air-dry clay in addition to our usual clay order but I have no experience working with it.  I am hoping this discussion continues as many of us figure out what we are doing moving forward. 

Archived