55 minutes ago, oldlady said:

wow,   it is so nice to have some positive words from fellow potters.   i really miss the interaction with buyers, i did not know how much.   thank you all.    maybe that is enough to get me back into the studio to make SOMETHING this year.

Yes not doing shows and dealing with customers feels so odd. The mail order has not been the same.

On 9/30/2020 at 7:52 PM, oldlady said:

the website is less than good

If they are approachable for feedback on the website itself, I have to say the teeny tiny text type in pale orange is awful.  Looks awful and is very off-putting to try to read-way to hard to see, in color and size. It cheapens the rest of the content...a quality business ought to be savvy enough to have a professional, engaging website with content that you at least could read if you wanted to.   The product shots and typeface/size are OK, which is in your favor.  Best wishes! 

• 1 month later...

thank you all.   i raised my prices several years ago, smokey.   was concerned that they were too high for this area when i started doing the farmers' market but nobody questioned the prices.  the ones in the gift shop were my most expensive pieces and i did not give them any of the "normal" price range until nov 11.   a special event was planned for three evenings so i took some of my small things and the very popular squares.  

funny thing is, nobody questioned the prices but they did want to know if i used "stamps"  (whatever they are) .   i said i made them and they wanted to know where i got the "molds".   then i started telling people i was a potter, i used mud to make the things they saw.   clearly, farmer's markets are not the place to find pottery lovers.   but i made money and will make more from the gift shop.   thanks to farmers' markets for sales and meeting some new friends.  A+ all around.

23 hours ago, oldlady said:

clearly, farmer's markets are not the place to find pottery lovers.   

ya know some of them do have have a very art/artisan minded crowd. We found the Everett one in Seattle area was a lot like many if not most art shows we do. The crowd was often locals out for a walk and there to grab some vegies but it is on the waterfront and people had money and liked handmade and on a nice weather day it was crowded. Sold a lot of mugs but bigger stuff would sell as well. We couldn't bring enough berry bowls but my partner hates making those and we overpriced accordingly (but still always sold out). 

Only a 5 hours sales window though so a lot of work for the hours you got and we had to drive an hour each way. Also had a waterfront restaurant so we would blow a good portion of our take on an evening out after loadout :) 

I can confirm that if a farmer's market has the right shoppers, you can make a tidy sum in a few hours. I tend to bring a pared down display so that I can tear down in about 20 minutes. People also seem to buy a lot of mugs and berry bowls, but I've also gotten a number of larger orders from people who recognize me as a regular. The farmer's market I go to has been active for a few decades and has always had potters at it. People go there expecting to find it.

yes, callie, i had only 6 shelves and after the first week with the tent, i put that away.  putting the expensive things in the gift shop freed up lots of space for normal items.

i was a novelty in the beginning.   then people asked if i would be there next week.   some actually came back but the standard way i talk to those people is to offer the piece they want and my card with my address so they could mail a check.  got 7 or 8 checks in the mail and that is always nice and it builds a customer base in case i ever have a way of selling online.  it is easy to be uncertain of plans for next week when the weather is so fickle at this time of year.  

there were several actual farmers with wonderful things plus 3 or 4 bakers, a dog treat maker, a seller of flavored goat cheese, a food truck on the corner with dinner to take home and a winery owner, ( he was always busy), plus a man who repackages what i knew as penny candy in the 1940s and sells a half pint in a plastic container for $5,   i joined at the end of the season but the group decided to extend it until december when the contracted time expired in october.

excellent reception by the other vendors and concern that i be assisted packing up so i would not be out after dark alone in the parking lot.        which is adjacent to the police department.