Replacing a 3 prong cord with a 4 prong

Cameo

I recently purchased an old kiln sitter kiln (black) with a 3 prong cord. My little kiln sitter skutt kiln (red) uses 4 prong. The wiring within the control box looks to be exactly the same. Exactly. I'd like to change the 3 prong cord to a 4 prong so I can use the same outlet. I'm thinking about just copying the inside of my little kiln. What say you about this? 

20200430_103427.jpg

20200430_103354.jpg

Please tell us the exact models of these 2 kilns. The number on the sitter label is not the kiln model. The old red one is a Skutt, but we need the model number of the kiln to ascertain why it was designed with a 4 prong plug. And similarly, the make and model of the new kiln that has the black LT-3K sitter.

My baby skutt kiln is model 181. Max cone 6 (and I'm firing to 5, so I'd really like to get my big kiln running!)

The big old mama kiln doesnt have any kind of label on the body of the kiln but the control box says Kiln Sitter model LT-3K. 

20200430_125500.jpg

20200430_125431.jpg

20200430_125405.jpg

@Cameo Sorry, I was confused by your original post. Anyway, no, you can't use the same outlet. Your little kiln should be on a 25 or 30 amp circuit. The big kiln will probably need a 60 amp circuit. You'll need an entirely new circuit run for the big kiln. Check the side of the control box for a serial plate for the big kiln. Is the big kiln 10 sided or 12 sided? Looks like it might be an Olympic.

I say it saounds like a bad idea -Sounds like a fire with overheated wires unless you know the large kiln draw which is surely a lot more as Neil eluded to.

The kiln setter numbers are near meaningless

That Skutt kiln looks like a 30 amp breaker with number #10 wire to the plug

That large kiln will need as Neil said 60 amps most likey-we need to see it or tell us the size of it

You will need a whole new breaker and plug and wire for it.

It's even worse. The Skutt 181 is nominally a 240V kiln, but operates the top and bottom sections separately, each on one 120V leg, and each needs a neutral. Hence, the 4 prongs: 2 hots, a neutral, and a ground. So, if you want to keep the little Skutt as a bisque kiln, you'll have to leave it on its current circuit, and install a new circuit as described by Neil and Mark for the new big one.

@Cameo You'll need to verify the amperage draw of the big kiln before you do anything. Is there a serial plate on it anywhere? If not, you're just guessing as to what size breaker it needs to be on. Too small or too large and it's not safe. That size kiln could need anywhere from a 60 to an 80 amp breaker depending on the setup. If you can't find a serial plate, you'll need to test the resistance of the elements and calculate the amperage draw. Or talk to the previous owner and see if they know anything about it. If you don't know how to measure the element resistance the forum is happy to help. You'll need to buy a digital multi-meter first. You can get any inexpensive one at the hardware store.

• 3 weeks later...

Truth truth....

Try to go gas on the biggin!

I was hesitant being in a close neighbored city block. 3 firings in and all that is gone.

The control allowed, the colors, the efficiency, the outsidedness...

All wonderful, and I don't know how I wasn't doing this earlier, at the house where I dug a wood kiln into the ground with no worries! Lol.

Sorce

20200506_122547.jpg

3 hours ago, Cameo said:

@Sorcery that's super cool and when I have more resources I very well may but the truth is, I need this kiln running this week. I'll definitely put some serious thought into that in the future!

Depending on your electricianal skills, and what is open and accessible to you as far as stores go.....

You probly could run it this week!

How are you doing for getting it running electrically? How's the elements?

I don't want to sway you, but most time and $ considered....it's near equal.

Best either way!

Sorce

Archived