HELP! Alternative firing with sawdust pit.

fravsss

Hey guys, so tomorrow I'll make a kiln with oil can (yes it's already washed) and pit firing, I'm trying to post a pic of it but the forum sucks at uploading it, so I'll try to explain:

The idea is to dig a hole on the ground where I'm going to put the fire (wood and sawdust, and yes,  there's room for the oxygen to get in), then I'll put a grill over it where pieces are going to be placed, I'll also put sawdust on them with some wood, then the oil can will be put over them to isolate the heat. That's my idea, what do you guys think? Will it work? Also, there's a hole on the top of the can with about 10cm diameter, do you think I should close it or not?

Thanks.

*forgot to say that it's to bisquefire pieces

https://www.marianwilliamspottery.com/2017/02/06/barrel-fire-pottery/

Your pots will be subjected to quite a sudden drop in temp .

Check this lady's method. That is what I was refering to in my answer to your post. 

No insulation just do as she says.

No need for pit.

Fuel in drum around pots

Lid entirely cut off ..can be used as lid or as she has done, bit of corrugated iron.

Much simpler.

Magn. Mud refered to his successes with this ...replaces barrel with a bit of culvert

15 minutes ago, Babs said:

Check this lady's method. That is what I was refering to in my answer to your post. 

No need for pit.

Fuel in drum around pots

Lid entirely cut off ..can be used as lid or as she has done, bit of corrugated iron.

Much simpler.

Magn. Mud refered to his successes with this ...replaces barrel with a bit of culvert

I think he's trying to get them to bisque temperatures.  Hers are already bisqued, so the firing temperature is not as consequential

But the thermal shock is, I guess..at best the pit will get orange coloured and where it hits the pots ...maybe red...but with no insulation

Well let's see.

The barrel is easier imo., be good to get a couple of cones on that shelf alongside his pots

Think his pots more vulnerable in his set up but be good to see his results.

Not sure what issue he is encountering with uploading photos.

17 hours ago, Babs said:

https://www.marianwilliamspottery.com/2017/02/06/barrel-fire-pottery/

No need for pit.

Fuel in drum around pots

Much simpler.

Wow, beautiful results! I think I'm going to try it then. Thank you!

2 hours ago, fravsss said:

Got it, here's the photos, but now that I saw that lady's technique I think I'm gonna try that way.

Yes now I revisited this I may do this too.

Winter coming here so no fire threat.

Fid these a couple of decades or three ago. Fun

Archived