DIY kiln wash recipe

DMCosta

So I ordered some new kiln shelves and thought I had kiln wash. Turns out I think I brought it to work and left it there. I wanted to fire tonight or tomorrow. Does anyone have any DIY kiln wash substitutes or recipes I could use? I don't mix my own glazes anymore but I do have potash feldspar and frit in my cabinet if that can help. 

Thank you, 

~Dianba 

• 2 months later...
On 4/26/2020 at 11:09 AM, Mark C. said:

The best kiln wash is 

50% or so alumina Hydrate

25% calcined epk(Bisqued epk)

25% epk

mixed up like heavy cream-brush or roll on sun dry.

do not use frit or feldspar in wash

Do you typically just fill a covered bisqued or green jar of some type  with EPK and include it in a bisque fire?  I recall trying it uncovered once and having the EPK all over the kiln.?

Alumina oxide is just calcined alumina hydrate, right?  The purpose of the calcining  EPK is to eliminate shrinkage?  Does alumina have a shrinkage factor as well?

Yes just put epk in any open (no need to cover) green or bisqued container. I use a large bowl often.

It never gets all over the kiln-if you have power blowers keep it away from the air flow.

You can buy glowmax from laguna which is already calcined EPK and yes its to control shrinkage 

alumina Hydrate is what I buy by the 50# bag from laguna-it does not need calcining as it does not shrink-I know nothing about alumina oxide-do not own or use any.

If you make thsi with other ingredients you are on your own-The recipe above works very well the past 40 years no need to reinvent the wheel

On 4/27/2020 at 3:24 AM, DMCosta said:

So I ordered some new kiln shelves and thought I had kiln wash. Turns out I think I brought it to work and left it there. I wanted to fire tonight or tomorrow. Does anyone have any DIY kiln wash substitutes or recipes I could use? I don't mix my own glazes anymore but I do have potash feldspar and frit in my cabinet if that can help. 

Thank you, 

~Dianba