Consistency in Form

Amazing! Thanks so much for all the recommended resources to check out! Regarding John's document, absolutely no worries. Sounds like practice is the best thing that I can do. 

@liambesaw Thanks for the suggestions! I've been going through clay from start to fired and glazed finishes. While I'm collecting lots of pieces, not the cheapest endeavor since I'm buying lots of clay. If I wanted to simply practice throwing, any suggestions on how to keep and maintain clay if my sole purpose is to practice centering and pulling the walls? Is it likely that the clay might get too dry or wet? Or is it fine if I throw, break down, store in plastic, rewedge, and start again? 

I always have a bucket with a bag in it next to the wheel. Any scrap from throwing, trimming, or other is put into the bag. I drain off water at the end of the day into a water bucket, scrape out the bottom of the throwing bucket and put it into the scrap bucket. Next day put water into the throwing bucket from the water bucket. This way, the clay stays much the same in the recycle bucket. If it is hot out, at night I fold the bag over the scraps in the scrap bucket. When the scrap bucket is full, I pull the bag out of the bucket and spin a few times and put it outside upside down on the deck. Later the next week I will take the bag, open it up check the consistency and either wedge it or leave the bag open for a few hours before wedging. As I recycle everything this works well for me.

best,

Pres

Over the years, I have traveled through about 15 different bodies. Those that were *06, lately *6, and in college and grad years those that were ^10-12, some as class clays, some of my own developments. In the last 15 years I have gone through about 5-6 ^6 clay bodies always searching for the clay that will allow me to do what I want at the time I am doing a particular type of pottery. This includes the throwing I do now where I textured the piece before shaping, this requires a strong body, that will take a lot of abuse, throws drier, and yet does not  have so much grog as to mar the texturing.

best,

Pres

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions and advice! I threw yesterday and comparing to my first photos, I think I'm improving. Things that have helped: using a wooden rim to straighten the walls, pulling alllll the way up, and making a first heavy pull. I plan on rewedging these pieces and continuing to practice with this same clay. Any suggestions? Some have already commented on this. 

I'm still working on getting them the same size. Some cylinders are wider than others.