Cone 5/6 Stoneware type claybody recipes

vivk

Good morning all! Hope you are all still motivated in these strange times. My particular problem is that I have run out of clay! My supplier is obviously locked down, and who knows when they will reopen. So I am i dire straits here, I am sure some of you are facing similar situations. 

So i am appealing to you guys  to help me mix up a stoneware type clay- or possibly share your recipes for a clay body. I fire to cone 5-6 and am familiar with stoneware but  I have bits and pieces of old white earthenware slip, some potashes, and feldspars, kaolin, dolomite, bentonites etc. So I have some raw materials but not sure how to mix them together. 

Please feel free to contact me privately if you prefer:

vk1@imaginet. co.a

I really like this claybody from Julia Galloway. Cone 6, very low absorbtion of less than 1% (with my firing methods). Handles really well on the wheel, not too fussy with attachments.

Cone 6 smooth - dirty porcelain type claybody

EPK Kaolin 35
Tile 6 Kaolin 15
Nepheline Syenite 23
Flint 22
XX Sagger Ball Clay 5
White Bentonite 3 

(I'm going to go ahead and change the title of your thread to better reflect your question)

On 4/24/2020 at 12:18 PM, Min said:

I really like this claybody from Julia Galloway. Cone 6, very low absorbtion of less than 1% (with my firing methods). Handles really well on the wheel, not too fussy with attachments.

Cone 6 smooth - dirty porcelain type claybody

EPK Kaolin 35
Tile 6 Kaolin 15
Nepheline Syenite 23
Flint 22
XX Sagger Ball Clay 5
White Bentonite 3 

(I'm going to go ahead and change the title of your thread to better reflect your question)

Looks nice. Wonder if I can sub OM4 for XX Sagger as that is what's in my cupboard.

@vivk, just as long as you have bentonite it will be fine. I prefer the white as it leaves less specks in the clay versus regular bentonite. As there is little ball clay in this recipe it really needs the bentonite. Just a note about bentonite if you haven't made your own claybodies before, make sure you blunge it with water before adding it to the rest of the materials. I used to make this body up as a dry powder (minus the bentonite) then add the blunged bentonite and mix it in my mixer/pugger. What makes a nicer body though is to slurry mix it then dry it out on plaster (or however you using dry reclaim) then wedge it up.

@terrim8, should be fine with OM4 but will probably be a bit less white. I think Galloway probably used XX Sagger as it helps with flashing and she fires it in soda.

Archived