Wax as finishing surface

Hi. I’m new here but I wondered if anyone has any recommendations for alternative finish to my bisque ware. Not being used for food use.  I have been using stains in white stoneware, it’s had a high bisque and now I just want to sand it until smooth. I have read somewhere that wax can be a good finish for fired ceramics? Anyone had any experience?

If you use Search here in the forums you will find many posts about the various types of wax used for finishing, and the experiences of those who have posted.   Google also generates links for info on using wax, as well as burnishing.   Why, though, would you not fire the clay to its maturity? Curious as to what would be the point or purpose of using pieces that are only bisqued? 

second that, it's just going to be brittle because the clay is not vitrified and I think wax would just wear off over time and the pot will just end up with no finish eventually as well.

Why not just dip it in or brush on a clear glaze and do a glaze firing? 

On 4/20/2020 at 2:11 PM, Cerambab said:

I have read somewhere that wax can be a good finish for fired ceramics? Anyone had any experience?

are you sure that this is not referring to wax resist? Many people will put wax on the areas they don't want glaze to be such as the bottom of a pot. My partner also uses it as a method of decoration. For example she might use glaze/underglaze or stains on leaves and then cover that with wax and then dip the entire pot in a dipping glaze. The wax will resist the glaze and will burn off in the glaze firing. Nice look and faster and less hassle than trying to keep it all separate during application.

Archived