Transparent glaze recipe

Sabbir

Hi guyz, Now i want to share a glaze recipe with you, If you want to transparent glaze on your pottery you can use this recipe, i showed a figure which body color is gray so its show gray color, if you applied it on white body it will look so gorgeous.

Soda feldspar: 5%

Potash feldspar: 31% 

Quartz: 30%

China clay: 6%

Calcium carbonate: 13% 

Barium carbonate: 4%

zinc oxide: 10%

Talc: 1%

Try& share it..

#stay_home & stay safe from covid-19.

Thank you 

IMG_20200417_132620.jpg

Two issues I'm working on for mid fire (cone 6) clear glazes, i) micro bubbles, red and black clays and ii) crazing, buff, white and light red clays - have a good solution for first, working on the second. I'm not seeing any barium carbonate in my future...

https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/daily/ceramic-glaze-recipes/glaze-chemistry/leaving-bariumville-replacing-barium-carbonate-in-cone-10-glazes/

https://digitalfire.com/4sight/hazards/ceramic_hazard_barium_in_materials_and_fired_glazes_26.html

That's a good looking pedestal sink!

5 hours ago, Hulk said:

Two issues I'm working on for mid fire (cone 6) clear glazes, i) micro bubbles, red and black clays and ii) crazing, buff, white and light red clays - have a good solution for first, working on the second. I'm not seeing any barium carbonate in my future...

https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/daily/ceramic-glaze-recipes/glaze-chemistry/leaving-bariumville-replacing-barium-carbonate-in-cone-10-glazes/

https://digitalfire.com/4sight/hazards/ceramic_hazard_barium_in_materials_and_fired_glazes_26.html

That's a good looking pedestal sink!

Have you looked into the much less reactive but related strontium carbonate?

I'm a high fire guy 

why add Barium carbonate: 4% to a cone 6 clear?/

Clears can be had without any Barium carbonate I'm sure. especially for sanitary wares

But Thanks for sharing the glaze looks great  on that pedestal sink

3 hours ago, liambesaw said:

Have you looked into the much less reactive but related strontium carbonate?

A bit o' lithium via petalite is what I'm looking into for second problem (crazing, clear glaze, cone 6, some, not all clays), also a small amount of zirconium and tweaks to recipe.

To the op, thanks for the mid fire recipe. I'm not interested in barium at this time.

On 4/17/2020 at 9:14 PM, Hulk said:

A bit o' lithium via petalite is what I'm looking into for second problem (crazing, clear glaze, cone 6, some, not all clays), also a small amount of zirconium and tweaks to recipe.

To the op, thanks for the mid fire recipe. I'm not interested in barium at this time.

Have you tried Sue McClouds methodology. R2O .2 ish, alumina .54 ish From memory. No lithium.

My latest iteration of low expansion clear's coe < 5.7 (per GlazeMaster), still crazing, already have some Magnesium (from talc) in there, low sodium - looking to go lower coe.

As for new/other recipes, some notes might be helpful, e.g. was developed to resolve specific issues a,b,c; includes ingredients because logical explanation ab,c; behaves with specific clay(s) as described; usage and application notes a,b,c; is sensitive to a,b,c ...and etc., etc.

51 minutes ago, Hulk said:

My latest iteration of low expansion clear's coe < 5.7 (per GlazeMaster), still crazing, already have some Magnesium (from talc) in there, low sodium - looking to go lower coe.

As for new/other recipes, some notes might be helpful, e.g. was developed to resolve specific issues a,b,c; includes ingredients because logical explanation ab,c; behaves with specific clay(s) as described; usage and application notes a,b,c; is sensitive to a,b,c ...and etc., etc.

It’s a method you would use with your present recipe. Adjusting COE with different materials has its challenges. Just wondered if you had explored taking your existing recipe and adjusting RO and total alumina per Her research. Just an idea.

Archived