Smokey2

So who needs a haircut besides me?

I considered going Kojak but I don't like lollipops so I gave up on that idea.

I purchased a hair trimmer and luckily I only had to use it once before hairdressers and barbers where allowed to reopen for business

I have been cutting my own hair for several years,  I started  after getting two bad hair cuts in a row.   I have medium to long hair so I trim the hair around my face the way I want it.  Then I comb my back hair forward over my face,  I cut 3 inches off and then shape it into my front hair.  Last month I cut it and then asked my husband to trim up any strays or jagged areas in the back.   He comb through and said I had done a perfect job.   My hair is pretty fine and thin so it is pretty easy to cut,  we don't see anyone except strangers at the grocery store so I guess it really doesn't matter.    Denice

denise, did you see the woman who was adamant about going out to her beauty salon and having a professional haircut because her roots were showing        she was embarrassed by the thought of anyone seeing her that way.   then  she showed the top of her head to the national news camera and the person interviewing her said.  "I see!"      so did a few million other people.

Been there,  I lost my eyebrows and eyelashes in a sawdust explosion during a Raku glaze test in college.   I had a bandana on and long gloves so my hair lost was minimal considering I was standing in a ball of fire.     Denice

Youch Denice, Not fun. Raku has never been a favorite of mine, especially throwing the heavily grogged clay, wore sores on my left hand as I throw narrow, and my hands would touch the inside walls at three points, stayed there all summer long. Also burned myself when the cable on the lift for the raku kiln broke and I unthinkingly grabbed to keep it from falling near another student, she was crouched and could not have moved out of the way. No not raku anymore.

best,

Pres

On 8/2/2020 at 9:38 AM, Pres said:

Youch Denice, Not fun. Raku has never been a favorite of mine, especially throwing the heavily grogged clay, wore sores on my left hand as I throw narrow, and my hands would touch the inside walls at three points, stayed there all summer long. Also burned myself when the cable on the lift for the raku kiln broke and I unthinkingly grabbed to keep it from falling near another student, she was crouched and could not have moved out of the way. No not raku anymore.

best,

Pres

Yeah, but with Raku, you get to play with FIRE!

The Raku body I use, has a fairly light grog.  I've never had any issues with it hurting my hands, nor have my students.

Now, the main studio body I used in college, on the other hand!  They added a lot of grog to that, to help with any potential shrinkage and cracking issues that are common with beginning students.  It was great for the hand-building projects, but during wheel throwing, I had a permanent sore on the side of my hand, from the wheel head.  It was like constantly resting my hand on a sanding disc.  I kept putting Liquid Band-Aid on it, but it got worn away almost immediately.