Earthenware meltdown

I don't know where @KBart lives but there are claybodies sold in the earthenwares category that fire all the way up to 1270C in England. Not what we would call an earthenware on this side of the pond but there are many that fire in the cone 2-6 range there (and at least one that does cone 10). 

Not trying to be nit-picky but there are people on this forum from the UK so just trying to some avoid some possible confusion. Totally agree that @KBart looks like lowfire earthenware fired far too hot. Match the firing temperature/cone of the clay with the range of the glaze. For your lowfire clay use lowfire glazes. (there are exceptions to this but they require more thorough testing)

Clayman earthenware

Valentine earthenware clays

Bath Potter's earthenware clays

38 minutes ago, KBart said:

I just reread the instructions that came with the clay.  Sax white earthenware.  It says it can be fired to cone 5. Would using a 6 make that much difference?

Likely not but if you told me  it says cone 2-5 (or some range like that) then I would say it just can’t go to cone 6. What sticks in the back of my mind, regardless is how confident are we that this was not over fired? Were  there witness cones in the firing and just curious how long did it fire.

36 minutes ago, Sorcery said:

@Min....Max!

Nice.

06-5 just sounds funny.

But 02 clay at 6 would probly melt more than that...yeah?

Looks like a strict 5 Max clay at 6.

Not 02 at 6.

What are the other pieces?

Sorce

In my experience a cone 5 max at 6 is bloated, not completely melted.  That looks more like a glaze than a clay to me!

Archived