fiberglas bathtub converted to spray booth???

oldlady

yesterday, i got a beautiful new, small  fiberglas bathtub that i plan to drive home and convert to a spray booth.  don't know why it was being tossed by a plumbing supply store because its bottom has some kind of paper and wood scraps in it.  it is still in the car but looks perfect for the purpose.   in a few weeks,  if anyone sees me driving north on 95 with a tub on the roof, wave.

the overflow hole will be the bottom drain to a bucket and i expect to put a hole in the current sloped end that will be the  top for either a fan or some plumbing.

anyone have any ideas on what to do with it?   i would prefer a wash down wet booth rather than having a loud fan.   i have the Tom Turner style bookmarked and wonder if anyone has built it or something similar.   

Oldlady, you might have forgotten about this strand from 2018. . . 

It could have the answer to your question, I have often thought of doing the same using a shower booth, curtain front, false floor with a tub under for pump and water collection and recirculation, thin hose for water fall edges, fan at the top for circulation. Think about it, measure and sketch it out. . . post here, and I bet folks would help you plan it.

best,

Pres

@Oldlady, try clicking this instead of the link Pres posted, if that doesn't work copy and paste it. https://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/17539-diy-spray-booth-with-waterfall/?tab=comments#comment-141847

I noticed the other day that you couldn't open the tiny url link that @blackthorn posted in this thread. I didn't have any problems with either that or Pres' link above so I hate to say it but I think its your computer or connection speed that's the issue.

@oldlady, I did exactly what Tom Turner did in that bookmark you have.  Only thing I did wrong from the begining was not use a powerful enough exhaust fan. This past fall I switched it to an attic fan like Tom Turner. It has made a world of difference with sucking the glaze haze out. If you do things the way he has done them you will do well. My booth is inside my studio and it is on wheels. The exhaust goes out a window where the booth is backed up to. The fan is about 4 inches from the open window. The most important part is to have the thin plastic film at the top of the booth that allows the water to "flow" down the wall. I used a dry cleaner bag cut down to about 12 inches wide.  Another important part is at the bottom of the plexiglass - the 1/8 inch hardware cloth. If the hardware cloth is bigger than 1/8 inch the water will not flow well and you will have gaps in the water wall which allows glaze to get into the fan.

Of course you can holler at me if you need any help. Good Luck. On your way home to WV, take a hard left and come by MS. I can show you how it works.

John

@oldlady, when you get to buying and cutting pvc, get yourself a pair of ratcheting pvc pipe cutters. I wasted so much time with various saws before I saw the cutters (in the same area as pipe is sold). Just a few clicks and the pipe is cleanly severed!! That way, you can buy the more economical full lengths of pipe - and even cut down in the store to fit in a vehicle. 

thank you, everyone.   i have seen the original post again and yes, pres, i was searching for it.   i have bookmarked it 3 ways this time.  i will be able to build a spray booth with a little help from a very helpful new neighbor in wv.    it is so helpful to see the videos so i do not have to verbally explain what i want to do. 

min, you are probably right, i have a cable internet connection that seems very slow to me.    and the recent experience of having a faulty mouse makes me wonder if it really is my lack of understanding or the equipment to blame for my failure to connect to things properly.  

john, would love to left turn toward your place but maybe it would be easier for you and linda to find someone to care for your chickens while you visit north.   bring your fishing pole.  (still waiting for the glaze firing results.)

rae, i haven't built a house since 2005 so i am very glad to know there is an easier way to cut pvc.    thank you!

@oldlady, Right now the chickens and their eggs are priceless. Have heard of a dozen eggs going for $7 in the grocery stores.

To attach the hardware cloth to the plexiglass, I drilled holes thru the plexiglass (place tape over the plexiglass at your drill point then drill), then cut a piece of 1x4 to fit the width of the plexiglass. Put the 1x4 on the back side of the plexiglass, this is your "nailer". Screw, using deck screws with a pan washer, the hardware cloth thru the plexiglass into the 1x4 to hold it all.

The egg problem must differ from state to state,   I just bought 3 dozen for 3 dollars at Walmart.    I  was there at  6 am to get my mother in-law some toilet paper,  Walmart is the only store in town that gets any.   You are allowed  one package and it was gone by 6.15,  same thing with paper towels.   The politician keep saying there is not grocery shortage,   I guess they haven't shopped much.    Denice

Well, it's off topic but I didn't start it so......TP.....I am pleased to report that while there is none-zero-zip- in any grocery store in most of the county and all surrounding towns, there are  two places have it near me: the local feed store (!) and the local Party Store (!). Why/how? Because the owners want to "do something" for the community, have some back stock, and are offering it at $1 a roll, which is reasonable, all things considered.  Limit of 6 and 10 respectively.  2-ply no less.  No chickens to be seen out in public, but eggs are easy to come by. 

Was watching a news piece the other day about the Great Toilet Paper Shortage of 1973.

Panic buying back then too, even without Covid 19. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/the-toilet-paper-shortage-of-1973/

Eggs and milk are getting disposed of here by the farmers. With food service / restaurants closing down there is now an over supply. We have a milk marketing board here, prices can't go lower than a certain point so instead of selling at a discounted price and trying to increase the volume of product sold the overstock is getting tossed, such a waste.

Archived