hi, all,

Does anyone knows how can i get this glaze result?

I am not ceramist but designer trying to find a especific glaze to make a piece in liquid ceramic. I tested some recipes (picked in multiple sites) with a help from a ceramist, but none of the results pleased me. In fact, the results were very different from those presented in pics, as you can imagine.

If someone knows how can achieve this result and could help, i will be very grateful. Thank you :)

matte glaze.jpg

matte glaze 3.jpg

Hi Camila!

Just guessing, the top/solo pic is the objective, and the lower/trio pic is the "very different" result?

Can you identify the clay you are using, glaze fire temperature, and glaze(s) you've tried?

Are you applying slip or engobe? A white slip might smooth your surface and block the underlying clay's influence on colour...

5 hours ago, camila said:

hi, all,

Does anyone knows how can i get this glaze result?

I am not ceramist but designer trying to find a especific glaze to make a piece in liquid ceramic. I tested some recipes (picked in multiple sites) with a help from a ceramist, but none of the results pleased me. In fact, the results were very different from those presented in pics, as you can imagine.

If someone knows how can achieve this result and could help, i will be very grateful. Thank you :)

matte glaze.jpg

matte glaze 3.jpg

I think you could achieve all looks with a white clay and matte glaze. For the top one I would make my clay and finish with whatever minor texture I desired and clear glaze it with a Clear very matte glaze. 

For the rest texture the surface as desired, color slightly as desired and add silica to my matte glaze till I got my desired sheen

Since you mention not being familiar with ceramic processes, we should probably also let you know that part of the texture and finish on those pieces will be due to some of the composition of the clay and the method used to make them. These pieces you've shown are handbuilt out of a moist clay, and you can see little pieces of grog (particles like sand) poking through and making a sublte texture. You mention making yours out of "liquid clay, " which is what we would call slip. Grog particles are too heavy to stay suspended in casting slip that gets poured into a mold to set up,  so you won't get that same finish if you're using that process. You can get a similar one if  there's some subtle texture incorporated into the mold itself. 

I also make mine out of liquid clay. It usually ends up working pretty well and accomplishing its job. I also don't really mind little pieces of grog, I feel like it gives it texture and life. Maybe I should find a different way to do it. I would like to know how to make Ceramics with a beautifully smooth creamy texture.

10 hours ago, jyoungs said:

I also make mine out of liquid clay. It usually ends up working pretty well and accomplishing its job. I also don't really mind little pieces of grog, I feel like it gives it texture and life. Maybe I should find a different way to do it. I would like to know how to make Ceramics with a beautifully smooth creamy texture.

Just curious, what is liquid clay?  Do you cast them?