clear glaze and red clay

I am making mugs with red clay which I fire to cone six.    I apply white slip over it and scratch through.  I have use both Amaco and Duncan cone 6 clear and both turn my red clay brown, sometimes even murky.  Is there a recipe and/or a commercial clear cone 6 glaze that won't turn my red clay brown?

Thanks

neema

Red clays will never be as red and rich when covered with a clear glaze, except with terra cotta. But at cone 6 and up it's the nature of the beast. It shouldn't necessarily be murky, though. That's due to the clear glaze. A clearer glaze may give you better color from the clay, but never as rich as the raw clay.

Mug below made by D'arcy Margesson made from red lowfire clay. On the outside he has white slip (and slipped dots) which he carves through. Outside is a clear copper glaze, you can see part of it on the inside of the mug. Rest of the liner is made from a clear that is tinted amber. The tiny bit of iron in the amber glaze makes the bubbles that can cause hazing in clear glazes over red clay to dissipate.

You could try the same process with your cone 6 clay, look for a commercial amber coloured glaze to try over the red part of the mug (liner glaze maybe?) or you could try experimenting with your existing clear glazes by adding a tiny bit of iron to it. I have used an altered version of this glaze as a liner on cone 6 red clay (vase below). I overexposed the image to make the inside of the pot show up better, no hazing. The Alberta Slip that makes up the majority of the glaze contains very fine black iron oxide, there is approx 0.60% of it, might be a place to start experimenting with.

IMG_0038.jpeg.397155bcf37c233224460a22052d7aba.jpegIMG_0037.jpeg.b9046bd78d18e6fcdc7b5a2855b29069.jpegIMG_0033.jpeg.47b2d0e4b6358a8811b4016377e0ee90.jpeg

Archived