KarenB

Fill in Sliptrailing areas

I have seen several videos of people sliptrailing outlines, then filling with a different color. (With another sliptrailer) It never spills over or soaks into the outline. Looks like magic  

I try it, and there is no repelling like on the video. The filling just soaks into the outline, wet or dry. 
Does anyone know how to do this?

TIA

On 3/31/2020 at 6:02 PM, KarenB said:

I have seen several videos of people sliptrailing outlines, then filling with a different color. (With another sliptrailer) It never spills over or soaks into the outline. Looks like magic  

I try it, and there is no repelling like on the video. The filling just soaks into the outline, wet or dry. 
Does anyone know how to do this?

TIA

Can you name the videos you have been watching?  Perhaps that will give us a clue.

karen, what looks like plain slip may contain wax to separate the fields of color from each other.   think of stained glass windows, the metal separates the colors.   the material doing the separating must be different from the material holding the colors.   fred is naming the procedure as Cuerda Seca or  dry rope.   look up that term and find previous posts to read advice.   finding old posts depends on the appropriateness of the original question and terminology and spelling in the title of the question.    some posts are simply "HELP", totally useless in a search.

As Fred says, Curerda Seca is the process. 

I'm pretty sure the outline is allowed to dry before filling in and as Old Lady points out, the outline is a mix of colored slip and wax.

Here is a young lady I discovered when researching that process:

https://tinyurl.com/qnyllzg

This video shows more about her process:
https://tinyurl.com/qnyllzg

Hope that helps.

blackthorn, could you please include directions on how to see what you have posted?   clicking on them does nothing.  what am i missing?