Hi! I was running a cone 5 glaze with my skutt electric kiln and forgot to turn on my enviro vent. When I realized it was already finished and at 500F.  I have the KMT so was able to see a graph of the firing which looked fine, but it did fire in 4 hrs instead of the regular 13hrs. What problems could this cause ??? Could this hurt my kiln for future firings?

Vent is on now and another fan in the studio cause it definitely smells.

Thanks!

Screenshot-2020-03-28-18.55.43.jpg.jpg

1 hour ago, Catherine Rex said:

Hi! I was running a cone 5 glaze with my skutt electric kiln and forgot to turn on my enviro vent. When I realized it was already finished and at 500F.  I have the KMT so was able to see a graph of the firing which looked fine, but it did fire in 4 hrs instead of the regular 13hrs. What problems could this cause ??? Could this hurt my kiln for future firings?

Thanks!

Other than the fumes, likely will be fine unless you do not like the look of a four hour glaze cycle. I see it’s a medium speed glaze program. I almost always run fast in the test kiln just because I am fine with the result and really don’t slow cool etc.... If you had anything particularly large or thick there is the possibility of cracking but for my stuff 600 degrees per hour has proven safe. Interesting that the envirovent  is adjusted so strong that it adds 9 hours to your normal glaze. If you didn’t make a program change you might want to check just how much it’s drawing out. There likely is a potential for big energy savings here  Skutt has a simple setup document and the smoke test is helpful as you are adjusting the balance between room air and necessary kiln air.

let us know how you like them. It will provide an interesting choice on how long you fire future glaze firings.

Just a note, I read Skutts manual and their medium speed actually fires in about 7.5 hours so I have no explanation why you finished in 4 hours which is their fast fire mode.

Edited by Bill Kielb

It's hard to see on your image but it looks like the blue figures running along the bottom of the graph are hours and the orange are the segments and the temperature rise is on the left vertical side of the graph.  If this is correct then it looks like the firing took approx 9 hours. Is there a function on the controller to review your last schedule?

Welcome to the forum.

edit: is the "Time of firing" the actual time of day the kiln started or finished?

Edited by Min
added a thought
8 minutes ago, Min said:

It's hard to see on your image but it looks like the blue figures running along the bottom of the graph are hours and the orange are the segments and the temperature rise is on the left vertical side of the graph.  If this is correct then it looks like the firing took approx 9 hours. Is there a function on the controller to review your last schedule?

Welcome to the forum.

I agree. Good catch!  I know the total is shown as 4:03 but the graph shows midfire between 4:00 and 8:00  so is there a chance that this was stopped and restarted and it really did take closer to 7.5 hours?

Edited by Bill Kielb

Hi thank you for all the help! I’m still learning my KMT Skutt screen use to the old school non computer one. Right now I can only get it to pull up the graph I posted, but I agree that it looks like it took longer than 4 hrs. I started the kiln at 9 PM so maybe it is a reading for 4 AM. 

if anyone has any tips for getting more information off of your KMT Skutt touchscreen please let me know

1 hour ago, Catherine Rex said:

Hi thank you for all the help! I’m still learning my KMT Skutt screen use to the old school non computer one. Right now I can only get it to pull up the graph I posted, but I agree that it looks like it took longer than 4 hrs. I started the kiln at 9 PM so maybe it is a reading for 4 AM. 

if anyone has any tips for getting more information off of your KMT Skutt touchscreen please let me know

I think Skutt makes their own control now. Bartlett used to make them for many and the Bartlett manual is pretty detailed. Even if your KMT was not made by Bartlett the Bartlett manual has a pretty nice assortment of firing profiles you can use. Free to download, I encourage just for the schedules in it.

web link Bartlett genesis manual here https://binst.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/manual/asset_path/174/Genesis___GenMini_Manual.docx.pdf

Skutt KMT  manual and some videos here https://skutt.com/ceramic-kilns/kiln-upgrades/kilnmaster-touchscreen-controller/

It's a good idea to be there when the kiln is approaching the end of the firing, especially since this is a new kiln and controller. If you want to fire overnight then use the delay start function and time it so the end of the firing will be when you are up and around to check the kiln.

Let us know how the pots turned out.

17 hours ago, Catherine Rex said:

Thanks!

The time of firing is the time it ended. I believe you are not on the firing information screen and are looking at the time and date of firing - that screen is just used for people who log their firings. Click the "<Back" button, should show some more info.

By the graph, your firing was around 9 hours. For a cone 5 med, that is quite a bit slow. How old are your elements?

Do not be concerned about the fan being off. Will not effect the pieces in the kiln. Could effect the elements long term, but one or two firings with it off is nothing to worry about.

Just now, Brandon Franks said:

The time of firing is the time it ended. I believe you are not on the firing information screen and are looking at the time and date of firing - that screen is just used for people who log their firings. Click the "<Back" button, should show some more info.

By the graph, your firing was around 9 hours. For a cone 5 med, that is quite a bit slow. How old are your elements?

Do not be concerned about the fan being off. Will not effect the pieces in the kiln. Could effect the elements long term, but one or two firings with it off is nothing to worry about.

Also, I believe you can buy a little radio transmitter for the vent. They are a hundred bucks (https://www.theceramicshop.com/product/2396/enviro-link-skutt/). If you are worried about the fan forgetting to be on (it happens to the best of us, don't sweat it) you can buy the attachment and it will transmit to the controller for automatic on/off control. Its really nice for a hands off experience. 

You may see some differences in your glazes from not having the fan on, because there was less oxygen in the kiln (assuming all your peep plugs were in). They may be less bright, slightly muddier in color. Other than that, nothing catastrophic is going to happen.