ChelseaRae

Where can I get clay during COVID-19 shut down?

Hi there! Thanks in advance.  I am wondering what stores are currently shipping clay (and not at a too crazy of a markup) during the shut down/quarantine.  Local clay stores near me (Aardvark & and Laguna Clay Company) are both closed.  I am in Long Beach, CA. 

Shipping clay from anywhere is going to be expensive. If you just need a couple of boxes then they'll go UPS and probably cost as much as the clay to ship, if not more. Freight charges for larger amounts will be $100-200 or more depending on where it's coming from. Unless you can find a distributor for the clays you already use, then you'll have to deal with all the problems that come with switching clay bodies. All that said, Ceramic Supply Chicago is still open, they carry Standard clays.

Looks like Clay Planet (Santa Clara, CA) is open - curbside only - hence they're probably shipping; they carry some Laguna clays. We picked up some of their "smooth red" and "Venus white" when last up that way. I like it, haven't fired any yet tho'

Looks like US Pigment is still open as well, ten bucks to ship 25 lbs o'clay anywhere USA; they have some Laguna clays.

Industrial Materials (Sacramento, CA) is open - curbside only - hence they're probably still shipping as well; 50 lb box o' their mid range "'50/50" is $36.81, shipping included.

Check your local ceramic shop via e-mail or phone to see if they have a set up to pick up clay-must be one in your area as you live in a area with over 10 million people.

Our little area (100,000 ) has one shop and if you call they have another number on machine where they will curbside 1 hour- 3 days a week for customers who call it.

Edited by Mark C.

I will say if anyone is reading this in the Seattle area, I have a lot of reclaimed Vashon red clay, as well as limited boxed clays of Vashon red, Vashon red with grog and Vashon white that i don't mind sharing since shipping for clay is not worth it.  Just send me a DM and you can come pick up a bag or two to tide you over.

Sheffield pottery is open for mail orders including clay. They say they have deal on shipped clays-I know nothing of the details but it looks like $5 per 50#box-I get e-mails from them as I bought something from them years ago.

Edited by Mark C.