oldlady

anyone have a recipe, mocha diffusion without tobacco?

want to try something completely different.   have tried mocha diffusion before on thrown work.   this time i would like to include some in flat trays with other experiments.  

can't stand tobacco so i would like to work without it.  i know there are other ways to get the effect i want, is anyone willing to share a recipe?

thanks in advance.

For the acid part of it I use apple cider vinegar plus cobalt oxide and a tiny bit of manganese dioxide to tone down the cobalt. I also add just a drop of washing up liquid, it helps get a bit more of the dendritic effect. Doesn't take much colourant, about 1/2 tsp to approx 1-2 tablespoons of whatever you use for the acid. For the slip Robin Hoppers recipe worked well for me, I've also used ^5 B-Mix as a slip and that worked well too. Image below has a semi opaque white glaze over the mocha diffusion so it's a bit obliterated the detail of the diffusion but if I did the same with a clear glaze it would be crisp, slip has RIO added to it. Raindrops instead of trees.

Robin Hopper Slip for Mocha Diffusion ^ 04-12

Feldspar (any) 5

Ball Clay (OM4 worked well for me) 75

EPK 10

Silica 10

image.png.bfd820b5446bc6248f33b538c8646e16.png

Edited by Min
clarity

I miss Robin. I never knew him, but he was an inspiration to me when I read his stuff. I am glad his blog is still up, I haven't checked it since he stopped writing.

Oh and here is the link to his Mocha Diffusion post. I still need to experiment with this stuff.

https://rhrising.blogspot.com/2013/03/mocha-diffusions.html

Min your result is beautiful.

Edited by Joseph Fireborn

10 minutes ago, Joseph Fireborn said:

I miss Robin. I never knew him, but he was an inspiration to me when I read his stuff. I am glad his blog is still up, I haven't checked it since he stopped writing.

He gave a really good workshop, very generous with his knowledge. Had the time to talk to people one on one. I use a clay cutting harp I bought from his studio, his father in law used to make them. When he got ill he gave away many of his tools. I was over in Metchosin on Vancouver Island quite a few years ago, asked him for a recommendation for somewhere good to go for dinner. He suggested 6 Mile Pub, lovely place and the food is really good, which figures as he loved his food.

edit: I learned mocha diffusion from him, made a ton of the stuff for quite a few years but not so much anymore.

Edited by Min

thank you all for the help finding the recipe.   min, your bowl is lovely, i never considered raindrops, they are so different that way.

i was lucky enough to attend one of his last workshops in sarasota.   i took a piece of the clay he wired off while demonstrating faceting striped clay and it hangs here to remind me of a wonderful day.

min, to clarify, i do not use water to make the slip but apple cider vinegar instead?    or do i make the normal water based white slip to cover the clay  and become a background for colorant that is mixed with vinegar and applied to the white slip.   i think the second choice is the right one.

has anyone used mason stains as colors?   robin recommends carbonates but i only have cobalt and copper.   would like to make a yellow if possible.

30 minutes ago, oldlady said:

min, to clarify, i do not use water to make the slip but apple cider vinegar instead?    or do i make the normal water based white slip to cover the clay  and become a background for colorant that is mixed with vinegar and applied to the white slip.   i think the second choice is the right one.

has anyone used mason stains as colors?   robin recommends carbonates but i only have cobalt and copper.   would like to make a yellow if possible.

Yup, the second thing you said. The slip is alkaline and the "tea" is acidic therefore the reaction of the two. Slip needs to be wet when you put the "tea" on it. Have to work fast, if the slip is starting to dry it won't work. I'ld suggest practicing on a piece of plastic, just the inside of a basin or something like that to get a feel for it. Wipe the pot down with a damp sponge then quickly get the slip on there then quickly drip the "tea" on.

Yes I've used stains, mostly Mason Dark Leaf Green stain. I don't think copper carb would work as copper would disperse into the glaze too easily and I'm pretty sure you would loose some of the detail and get more of a blur. Carbonates in theory will work better than oxides as they would disperse better but I found it's really hard to see cobalt carbonate pattern and prefer using the oxide. BTW it's really easy to smudge the patterns when dry.

thanks, min.    robin says in the blog that the colors can be added to a single fire glaze while it is still wet.   might have to try that though spraying makes the glaze dry so fast i would have to have 4 hands to do it.

thanks for the smudge tip, too.

31 minutes ago, oldlady said:

...   robin says in the blog that the colors can be added to a single fire glaze while it is still wet.   might have to try that though spraying makes the glaze dry so fast i would have to have 4 hands to do it.

You can just spray water on to the glaze to wet the glaze a bit, then apply the mocha liquid to the moist glaze.  
LT