applying to slip to bisque ware?

db3819

hi,

i've read of some artists applying slip to bisque fired work and then refiring . is this possible?  i'm currently applying it only on greenware but would like to be able to apply it again after bisque firing. i'm aiming for texture and use a porcelain slip on an unmatched  clay body. if there is some lack of adhesion it actually suits my purpose.  i'm now adding oxides and stains to my porcelain slips  and  applying to leatherhard greenware. i'd like to be able to touch up areas after it's bisque fired. i finish it off by staining the piece and firing it to cone 6 on an electric kiln. thanks for your help!

Paper slip to the rescue!  Adding paper fibers to the slip eliminates (mostly) shrinkage.  It's a fair hassle to work out the details for your own use, but once you become comfortable with this procedure, you'll find all kinds of saves are possible.  For someone like me, who is constantly flying by the seat of my pants and  trying new techniques and designs, it's a real game changer.  

16 hours ago, db3819 said:

i've read of some artists applying slip to bisque fired work and then refiring . is this possible?  i'm currently applying it only on greenware but would like to be able to apply it again after bisque firing. i'm aiming for texture and use a porcelain slip on an unmatched  clay body. if there is some lack of adhesion it actually suits my purpose.

It's the shrinkage of the slip and pot that's the issue, after the piece has dried it has shrunk a fair bit, if you add slip that has a high shrinkage it will crack and/or spall off the pot. To avoid this the slip has to contain less materials with high shrinkage, ie unfired clay in this case. Another option to paperclay slip would be Rhodes engobe for bisque might work but would need testing. Is using underglaze an option for what you are doing? It can be applied at leatherhard, dry or bisque ware states.

Rhodes cone 1-6 engobe for bisque:

Kaolin 5

Ball Clay 15

Calcined Kaolin 20

Leadless frit 5

Nepheline Syenite 20

Talc 5

Silica 20

Zircopax 5

Borax 5 (dissolve in hot water first)

Archived