Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I want to try my hand with trailing underglazes.  know I have to play around to find what works best for what I'm trying to achieve.

As a starter, should I use the underglaze full strength straight from the bottle, thin it with water, or mix it with a clear glaze?

I plan on covering the work with clear glaze and I fire to cone 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Smokey2 said:

I want to try my hand with trailing underglazes.  know I have to play around to find what works best for what I'm trying to achieve.

As a starter, should I use the underglaze full strength straight from the bottle, thin it with water, or mix it with a clear glaze?

I plan on covering the work with clear glaze and I fire to cone 6

All sound like things to try for effect. Thinner, maybe more translucent and or splashy. Thicker, more solid and of course refractory. Not sure mixing it with clear amounts to more than tinting clear glaze but again seems like a thing to try for effect.

Do you have a specific look you are trying to achieve? Potential example pictures would likely get a lot of feedback here.

Edited by Bill Kielb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends on the brand a bit, and what consistency it comes in. I agree: play with it and see what effects you can create. 

Edited to add: wash the tips out really really well when you’re done. Some of those binders will clog a glaze trailer like nothing else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't mix it with glaze, just add water as needed. Trailing is all about having the perfect amount if water so it will flow out of the bottle, but not drip once it's on the pot. Trailing on bisque is easiest because you can drag the tip on the pot, but underglaze that hasn't been bisque fired doesn't always take glaze well. If you try to drag the tip on leather hard or bone dry you'll pull up a bunch of clay dust/burrs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

Do you have a specific look you are trying to achieve?

Too many ideas...  For now starting with line work for detail. I've used a ruling pen and that was ok, I like the idea of a bottle so I don't have to think about refilling the nib.

1 hour ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

It depends on the brand a bit

Mostly Amaco's Velvets and some  Mayco Stroke and Coats (I know its really a glaze)

32 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

underglaze that hasn't been bisque fired doesn't always take glaze well

I've been airbrushing underglaze and found I have more trouble with covering underglaze that has been bisqued. It seems it wants to bead up, at least it smooths out in the firing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Smokey2 said:

Too many ideas...  For now starting with line work for detail. I've used a ruling pen and that was ok, I like the idea of a bottle so I don't have to think about refilling the nib.

Mostly Amaco's Velvets and some  Mayco Stroke and Coats (I know its really a glaze)

I've been airbrushing underglaze and found I have more trouble with covering underglaze that has been bisqued. It seems it wants to bead up, at least it smooths out in the firing.

use your finger and rub that clear glaze in on the underglaze part.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.