Anyone spray glaze their mugs?

I'm working on a mug project that requires gradient style glazing. So opted for spray glazing but it turns out spraying a beautiful handle is pretty difficult!

Would love any tips if you've figured out similar application method. 

11 minutes ago, moh said:

I'm working on a mug project that requires gradient style glazing. So opted for spray glazing but it turns out spraying a beautiful handle is pretty difficult!

Here's a little video by Steven showalter doing a mug:

1 hour ago, moh said:

Spray them all the time.  Banding wheel makes it easy for gradient work  ..... and of course plenty of  practice with a favorite spray gun with a decent favorite tip.

There may be a way to slow that vid down some; no doubt there are other videos out there as well - watching good technique can really help.

This looks like a start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HApC625oWgs

From there, you may find dozens of vids, and some good ones.

Any road, the spray goes where it's pointed, short answer. 

Hence, as Showalter demonstrates, point the gun at each surface - for your mug handle, tag the inside curve from at several angles, perhaps three, a short sweep, a radius, and a longer sweep, ok, that's done (unless you're getting it 1/2 from each side, then twice as many triggers), then there's the join, top and bottom, as well as the mug that's shielded from the handle, ok that's done, then the side of the handle, two quick sweeps, done, then the outside of the handle, only where it's not getting tagged enough from your spraying of the mug body...

I don't see spraying the inside - pour in, pour out.

I spent quite  few years of my life with a spray gun in my hand, an' respirator onna my face. That said, not sure if I'll  ever get into spraying glazes - used the spray booth at the local JC when taking classes there.

Definitely learned some great tips and techniques from sprayers (airless, conventional, hvlp…) that I worked with over the years - there's a lot to it! ...no doubt lots more to learn, heh.

Thaaat said, start easy, a tumbler is easier than a bowl, a bowl easier than a mug. Contrasting colours to start out, visual feedback - not white on white. Check your thickness - place a small piece of cut tape on, then peel off when the glaze is dry, voila! There's your thickness; leave the bare spot as an accent, or wax before pulling the tape and fill with contrast, or...

There's no shame in washing off all the glaze, drying the bisque, then starting over.

The gravity feed guns limit how much twist you can get, however, still lots of wrist and twist can be done - the straight on gets the most material.

Straight on gets the most material!

You might consider dipping your base colours and fogging on your gradients.

Have fun!

17 hours ago, moh said:

You can "cheat" by dipping in a light color base glaze 1st, then spraying the darker glaze on, this way it doesn't ruin the piece if the sprayed glaze gets thin in spots, like behind the handle.

Like Shawn, I dip a base white glaze on my Hazelnut brown pieces, I don't dip the entire mug, just pour the inside and dip the rim to the shoulder line. Then I use a banding wheel to turn the pot while spraying at an angle to the right, then I spray the next color at an angle to the left, both while the banding wheel is slowly spinning. Then I spot spray areas that I want to contrast, or change color with. Works well for me, and will not go back to straight dipping. Reason I do the double angle is that my pieces are thrown, textured with stamps, gouges, facets, etc, then shaped. leaving a surface that is already decorated. Double angles causes the textures to stand out better.

best,

Pres

10 minutes ago, Pres said:

Like Shawn, I dip a base white glaze on my Hazelnut brown pieces, I don't dip the entire mug, just pour the inside and dip the rim to the shoulder line. Then I use a banding wheel to turn the pot while spraying at an angle to the right, then I spray the next color at an angle to the left, both while the banding wheel is slowly spinning. Then I spot spray areas that I want to contrast, or change color with. Works well for me, and will not go back to straight dipping. Reason I do the double angle is that my pieces are thrown, textured with stamps, gouges, facets, etc, then shaped. leaving a surface that is already decorated. Double angles causes the textures to stand out better.

best,

Pres

I should mention that techniques such as angle spraying or starting at the cup center and spraying a rotation clockwise and a rotation counter clockwise  (don't start at the handle) is helpful for getting at both sides of a handle evenly and fairly easily. Or into texture evenly. Spraying the inside of things is a touch more difficult as there is generally no need to spray the inside bottom directly as it will pool quickly. It does however allow one to spray a fairly perfect feathered rim line though spraying away from the center of the mug over the rim for a neat blended glaze transition. The exterior bottom of a cup or inside the foot is easy as a couple quick sprays and a quick careful wipe with a sponge before dry makes for very uniform easy glaze inside the foot.

And of course spraying underglazes only, allows for some interesting ombré work. The more you spray, the better you will become with your favorite techniques.

Bill,

I have textured/ribbed extruded handles so the double really accentuates the ribbing or textures. I don't like to spray into mugs as I have never mastered the back spray from the closed form.

best,

Pres

The handle is the first thing I spray on a mug. I usually brush on glaze around the handle attachment at the lip.  A couple of coats. This is done after pouring the day before spraying.

Holding the mug in 1 hand, spray the inside of the bottom attachment from different angles. Then spray the underside of the handle from the bottom to top of the handle. Now spray the outside of the handle spraying from bottom to top, at an angle. After the mug body is sprayed I'll hold the mug in 1 hand, bottom facing away from me and lightly spray from the top of the handle down a little bit to encourage a glaze drip.

Archived