Best underglazes for airbrush

I just started experimenting with an airbrush and I'm finding that some of the underglazes that need to be applied thicker to be opaque don't come out as nice because you have to move the brush so slowly to get adequate coverage. One of the best  glazes that goes dark fast and with a thinner coat is the Amaco Velvet Blue Green. This allows me to be more gestural with the brush and move a little faster. Anyone know of other underglaze colors that behave like this? Or any other commercial glazes that you particularly like to use with the airbrush? Thanks!

Some colors are more saturated with color than others and give better coverage. In my experience, black, blues, greens, browns, and iron reds tend to cover better than the lighter colors, although that's not written in stone. Different brands go on differently, too. Ultimately it will just take testing.

On 2/29/2020 at 7:39 PM, AaronRotchadl said:

... some of the underglazes that need to be applied thicker to be opaque don't come out as nice because you have to move the brush so slowly to get adequate coverage.

You don't want to go that slow, since it can lead to drips and runs. Instead do a smooth line, and then go over the same spot once the surface dries. 2-3 coats should be thick enough for most colors. Black or dark colors may only need one coat.

Archived