Thank you Marian and liambesaw.   It's really good to meet people who find all this interesting.  The color came from the clay, the effect came from putting on a really, really thick coat of clear glaze.   I bet you could get it with the Lizella clay liambesaw   posted.  I get a similar effect by melting clear glass over glazed tiles.  I don't know if such a thick coat would stick to a vertical surface and not run off.   The iron in the rocks tends to bleed into the glaze which is also nice in the thick clear.   I want to figure out how to incorporate the fossils into clay pieces, considering the shrinkage problems.

Unfortunately lizella clay is only yellow at lower temps and isnt a clay body all by itself but rather a clay like redart, added to other clays and such to make the clay body. The digitalfire entry on it shows it turns a dark red/purple when fired by itself to cone 5 but it is quite brittle alone. I’ve only found a couple of commercial clay bodies that use it, Sheffield Pottery has one it looks great in cone10R, almost an irridescent purple. They mine a clay similar to Albany slip on their own property, I’ve done some digging near there and near Albany too but I’m not knowledgeable enough about ceramic materials to know what Im looking at most of the time. Most interested in finding the right clays to create simple glazes, Albany slip isnt available anymore but Alberta and Sheffields slip clays are comparable. Can buy them but where’s the fun in that?

I think to get your fossil effect I would either use a light yellow stain in porcelain, then IO wash over leaf imprint at bisque plus a clear glaze. Or underglaze at greenware then wash/glaze at bisque, or just a nice sheer yellow glaze over the wash.

Hate to admit it but  I just now figured out that you werent firing rocks, you were firing dirt! Still surprised to see dirt turn into the material in your pics.  The shiny pieces look almost like epoxy resin over rock, not sure how you got glaze to stick to that surface and why they didn’t fall apart in the firing. You may find better clay deposits near a stream or other body of water.

Hello Marian,  Thank you for the ideas.  What is confusing is that I am firing Clayey Rocks.  I mine the Rocks out, split them ope and find the fern leaves.  This rock is so soft it will dissolve and the fossils will rub out if I am not careful.  Within the next week or so I plan to fire some more dirt like substance, although it is really just dirty clay and gypsum crystals.  I will send pictures.  I also plan to fire some Clay that I have refined from the dirt.  Yesterday I drove past another roadcut that had yellow clay washed into the base of the hill from our recent rains.  I will see if I can get something interesting from it.  Thanks again,

Nancy