VeeGum T

yedrow

Anyone have any tips about using VeeGum T? I've read that it is from the same family of minerals as bentonite, but it seems that it has to be prepared by heavy mixing. Is that the case? Can bentonite be used as a substitute and vice verse?

I bought some along with other chemicals at an auction and I'd like to have a use for it.

VGT is often used in making glazes brushable, in combination with CMC Gum. It is also used as a plasticizer in porcelain clay bodies, or to keep glazes in suspension. Essentially, you can use it like bentonite. It tends to work best if it is first blunged in water.

what's the application rate of VGT and is it better than CMC or bentonite? we use CMC, bentonite and macaloid in our studio. although i've definitely heard of VGT I haven't bought any to try out against those two. I've always wondered if it's something we should be using instead?

for us, we typically have pre-wet CMC (150g CMC/1gal water) and add in a splash to basically everything. if dry, about 1%. bentonite we don't keep pre-wet and will add about 2% to dry mixes.

When making a brushing glaze, use 1% CMC and 2-3% VGT by dry weight. For keeping glazes in suspension I use 2% bentonite and 1/2% epsom salts. It's way cheaper than VGT. Without a preservative added to the mix, the CMC gum will get eaten up by bacteria very quickly.

Archived