milksnake12

Running color in glaze

Hello!
I was having trouble finding an answer on Google so I thought I'd see what you guys and gals thought. 

I would like to replicate the effect on one of Bill Campbell's mugs. It's the long running streaks of blue. I love the organic swirling they have and that they fade to a almost white at the bottom. 

Does anyone have any insight into how this effect was achieved? 

Thanks!

JLS_4638.jpg

41 minutes ago, milksnake12 said:

Reply from Bill's website.

"Sorry, that would require sharing our glaze recipe which is something Bill is not willing to do.  "

Worth a shot :) 

I would need to recreate this but could give you the basis of how we did it. It was designed to do this and every once in a while things works as expected. Similar effect, so let me know if similar enough for you. It might make experimenting and tweaking a bit easier if you like it. The inside is just one glaze, so pay no mind to that part.

8B89E0CB-1F5E-4D4A-9718-CD20DED24C9E.jpeg

2 hours ago, milksnake12 said:

I do like like that. It looks like it would be a matter of getting that blue to run in streaks a little more. 

I’ll put it together for you an PM it. Pretty simple and should get you started on experimenting. Basically a gloss over a runny matte which usually yield some dramatic movement and granularity  as the matte crystal  Are pulled down by gravity through the overglaze.

On 2/14/2020 at 12:45 PM, milksnake12 said:

I do like like that. It looks like it would be a matter of getting that blue to run in streaks a little more. 

Campbell has applied his glazes so that they run plenty but stop just before the bottom. That is the tricky part. I have used a high-rutile glaze over an iron saturate just at the rim and had streaks running all the way down to the bottom - and sometimes lower, glazing the piece to the shelf. Your dream surface will take much trial and error experimentation. Start with a high-rutile glaze and test over various other glazes, maybe you'll come up with a signature effect of your own.

Here is a similar effect that I do pretty regularly. In the middle piece I used: base coat-3 coats Amaco PC-41 (Vert Lustre), Then a 3/4" band of 3 coats PC 31/33 (50/50) and finally a 1/4" band of Duncan Renaissance Glazes - RG 704 - Shino Cream. The Shino cream causes the PC31/33 and anything else under it to run like a race horse and gives a nice hare's fur look. The cup on the right has a double band of the same layered colors as above...I would guess that if you did a PC20 (blue rutile)  or one of the Amaco deeper blues instead of the PC 31/33 You might come up with more blue, and the shino cream band would have to be wider to run all the way to the bottom...I just haven't gone that far yet but plan on doing so in the future...1916679474_19-345sm.jpg.8825b7478c3ec582d66c3376d9cf8735.jpg

i have a campbell piece from the late 1970s and it does not seem to have a foot, just clay folded at the bottom and running glaze all over.  

there is a pottery in virginia that does a combination of blue and purple running glazes.   it is called Bay pottery.  look at their website for the vertical pieces, they do a lot of shaped extrusions that do not show the color as well as the vertical ones.

Edited by oldlady
correction

13 minutes ago, Babs said:

Wonder how he stops the run. Some look like they are cut off mid flow! And the bottom line oh so neat!

They've been Dremeled, if you look closely at the first picture, you can see the cross section of glazes. White on top, then temmoku, then clay body.  I know the look oh too well, as I have a couple of glaze combinations that also run off the piece.