I'm researching transferring my photos onto clay slabs. There's a couple U-tube videos but The book 'Surface Design for Ceramics' covers the process really well. It recommends "burnt" linseed oil which I can't find. Is this the same as boiled linseed oil or one of the other mediums ( Amazon has burnt plate oil)?   Also, does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive laser printer that will print oversize paper ( about 12 x 18 would be good)?  

Hi Sylvia

'Burnt linseed oil' or 'burnt plate oil'  are partly polymerised linseed oils used to change the viscosity of printing inks which are often very thick . The oils come in 3 or 4 grades  'thick - think molasses, down to thin - think cooking oil.   If the oil is partly polymerised then it doesn't destroy the paper surface as the acidity in regular linseed oil does.  

For printing on clay that acidity doesn't matter , the oil will be fired off but the viscosity of the ink might matter.  Are you making your ink from scratch or buying a commercial product and modifying it?

'Inexpensive' and 'over size' printing may be very hard to find.  Look for secondhand or ex-commercial sales......or..... use a regular laser printer, which can be inexpensive, and 'tile' the separate parts of your image into one.   I have done this.

Be good to see your finished result!

Edited by Mudslinger Ceramics

13 hours ago, Mudslinger Ceramics said:

Hi Sylvia

'Burnt linseed oil' or 'burnt plate oil'  are partly polymerised linseed oils used to change the viscosity of printing inks which are often very thick . The oils come in 3 or 4 grades  'thick - think molasses, down to thin - think cooking oil.   If the oil is partly polymerised then it doesn't destroy the paper surface as the acidity in regular linseed oil does.  

For printing on clay that acidity doesn't matter , the oil will be fired off but the viscosity of the ink might matter.  Are you making your ink from scratch or buying a commercial product and modifying it?

'Inexpensive' and 'over size' printing may be very hard to find.  Look for secondhand or ex-commercial sales......or..... use a regular laser printer, which can be inexpensive, and 'tile' the separate parts of your image into one.   I have done this.

Be good to see your finished result!

Thanks for the reply!! I think I'll stick with the boiled linseed oil for now as its much cheaper and I don't know if the other would be better. I'm mixing ceramic stain and linseed oil for ink. Tiling the photo seems like the way to go. Thanks. The attached photo is done with regular paper. I'm going to try Pronto ( polyester) paper next. 

lithconeflower (758x1024).jpg