Bam2015

Griffin Grip - I like it, but what a mess it makes!

Hi Everyone,

I purchased a Giffin Grip and although I like how it secures my pots for trimming, I find the splash pan is useless for catching the clay scraps, so they wind up all over the floor.  I work off of a Brent wheel. 

I am in a member studio and had to sweep up my mess, which I know is not suggested. I tried to just sweep up the scraps & not stir up any residual clay dust, but that's hard to do. 

How do others catch the scraps? I don't want to go back to the "wads of clay anchoring technique". 

Thank you,
Betty

You have a few options-forget about a Brent splash pan helping as its to low -you can cut a larger backstop from a plastic bucket (think  medium trash bucket) that fits around the thing on most sides-you can also use a cut down cardboard box( I have done this in a pinch). Basically you need to have the trimmings hit and fall down so you collect them many things can work. The trimmings are not dusty until they dry so collecting them before they dry is key.

I have a small model A Brent wheel (not made anymore)in a corner so I use the two walls to collect the trimmings-the wheel is up on a low pedestal and is dedicated only to trimming.No slash pan

@Pres shared his solution on the boards, years ago.  It was basically a large plastic bowl, that he cut in half, with opposing pieces of velcro on each half, so they could be reconnect when putting on and taking off the trimming catcher.  

I tried to look for his original post, but couldn't find it.  Since I tagged him, he will better be able to reshare the link, or the photos he originally posted.  

And yes, Giffin Grips are awesome.  Not just for trimming, but for centering and joining two separately thrown pieces, for centering then decorating wares, etc.

Thank you Mark and Benzine. I'll have to figure out a way to design a catch basin. 

My apologies to Brian Giffin, creator of this product, I realize it's Giffin, not Griffin Grip. :) 

The issue is really that the Giffen is on top of the wheel head  sitting higher than most spalsh pans and the trimmings fly outward not down as clay laden water  drips downward.

The pan not only needs to be higher but wider as the Giffen is also larger than the wheelhead.So find the right bowl or bucket size that works and cut it down to fit the need .

As Ben mentioned in his post, I did use a large round plastic bowl cut in half to catch trimmings from the griffin grip. However, I few years ago we renovated the kitchen, and I repurposed one of the counter tops by adding sides to it and cutting a slot for the wheel shaft so that I could slide it on to the wheel with the regular splash pan off. Then I added pieces of wood on either side underneath so that they would grip the sides of the CXC holding this new trimming area in place. I also added a magnetic tool rack on the right inside. This way I can stand it up when not in use resting on on the open end at the end of the CXC acting as a table for my tool rack (silver ware drying/storage tray). Now I don't have to store the extra splash pan anywhere, and don't have piles of trimmings on the floor.

As Ben said also, the GG is a great tool for assembly. I use it to trim and assemble chalice and patens. First trimming the thrown stems, using a rig I made up using plumbing parts, then I trim the chalice bowls and mix and match stems to bowls and assemble while on the wheel, using the wheel to compress the joins, carve an inset in the bowl to match the stem and smooth the join more with a metal or wooden rib.

You can see much of this on my blog.

best,

Pres

Thank you Pres. I guess I will have to come up with some sort of assembly that can be easily added & removed from the wheel since I'm at a members' studio. However, I'm not a great engineer.  Maybe one of you retired or semi-retired potters would like to produce one for sale? :) 

Edited by Bam2015

I don't use a Giffin Grip but I do trim large platters without a splashpan. I put a piece of thin plastic dropcloth, the same stuff as what I cover my pots with, on the floor to the right of the wheel where the trimmings fly off. After trimming I pick up the plastic and dump the scrap into a bucket. It works really well, not much that doesn't land on the plastic.

I have an old Creative industries wheel and had the same problem with the height of the splash pan, so I found a plastic bucket  with the top portion near the size of my splash pan and cut it so that it is higher than the throw-off of the GG. You'll just have to find a bucket of the right size for your Brent...2091270321_CIwheelwithPanGiffenGripRisersm.jpg.9f6ac142dbeb2d74c5f544426dbd3267.jpg1198791312_GiffenGripRiser.jpg.9b3646e7d395227a1c6d077543c16777.jpg693040662_CIwheel3withPan2sm.jpg.7e7fb70e01d105572998d12edab5d782.jpg

My husband bought a squeegy type broom for cleaning the garage floor.   Maybe something like that could clean  your trimmings without stirring up dust.     Denice

( Maybe one of you retired or semi-retired potters would like to produce one for sale)

The market is to small for this to make economic sense-as well as there are to many wheel brands to fit.

As potters we are creators of items and this is just one you have to make for your self -just like a good mug.

2 hours ago, Magnolia Mud Research said:

If Mr. Griffin Grip we’re on top of the business,  he would have already dreamed up a “trimmings catcher add on” that would fit all wheels.  

Aah....good point. :)  Thank you everyone for your responses. 

Betty

One thing about Brian (Giffin grip designer)

He has a few devices patented especially in wood working tools.

I asked him for about 3 decades to make a larger platter trimmer-he eventually came out with one (its hanging on my wall) Its not as easy to set up as the smaller models and I onlyuse it when doing many platters as far as trimming .