I feel that calls for entry are an expensive gamble with little to no benefit, is that accurate?  I always see the lead-up to the deadline but almost never see the follow-through, so it doesn't seem like a great marketing tool.  Are there any other hidden benefits for applying to these, or are they some relic of BFA/MFA programs past.

12 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

I feel that calls for entry are an expensive gamble with little to no benefit, is that accurate?  I always see the lead-up to the deadline but almost never see the follow-through, so it doesn't seem like a great marketing tool.  Are there any other hidden benefits for applying to these, or are they some relic of BFA/MFA programs past.

Are you talking about gallery shows or art fairs? For gallery shows there is little financial gain, as the cost to ship one pot eats up a lot of the potential profit. Those shows are a good way to get your name out there, though. When I was in school we considered getting into a big name show akin to getting published. It shows that you're actively making work, and making work that's good, which is helpful when applying for teaching jobs.

15 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

Are you talking about gallery shows or art fairs? For gallery shows there is little financial gain, as the cost to ship one pot eats up a lot of the potential profit. Those shows are a good way to get your name out there, though. When I was in school we considered getting into a big name show akin to getting published. It shows that you're actively making work, and making work that's good, which is helpful when applying for teaching jobs.

Talking about gallery shows.  We have a bunch every year through my local clay guild at various locations, but I see a lot in CM and PMI that are digital only.  Doesn't make a lot of sense to me to send a digital picture and then get judged based on that.  25 dollar entry for a chance to win a 200 dollar prize?  Does that winning piece usually also get sold? 

I see some of them require you to have a BFA/MFA or be in school getting one, so I figured it was more of an art thing.  Our local guild shows are almost always functional ware though.

22 minutes ago, GEP said:

These types of shows have value in the academic world. Having a long list of exhibitions on your CV has value there. Outside of academia, they don’t have much value. Sometimes they can be fun, or feel like a nice feather on your cap, but that’s about it. 

That's what I figured thanks

I was once talking to a person who ran an art center that had an exhibition space. He said that for every call-for-entries they issued, they would get piles and piles of applications from people submitting work that was completely unrelated to the subject of the exhibition. They were all academics, looking to pad their CVs by mindlessly applying to every show.