Texture Paste - Eddie Curtis style

Hi! 

student from Goldsmiths here 

anyone familiar with some kind of texture paste? 
Eddie Curtis is a ceramicist who works with texture pastes that he has formulated himself and they are available commercially. However the cost is extortionate so I was wondering if anyone had used any kind of thick pastes to create texture on greenware. 

curtis does have a good demonstration on YouTube also where he first applies a porcelain slip, then the paste and then more porcelain slip after he has made the textures. He also uses a blow torch and heat gun. 

I was thinking it involves a mixture of slip and molochite perhaps? It holds its body very well. 

thanks!

39 minutes ago, JamesGOLDSMITHS24 said:

Hi! 

student from Goldsmiths here 

anyone familiar with some kind of texture paste? 
Eddie Curtis is a ceramicist who works with texture pastes that he has formulated himself and they are available commercially. However the cost is extortionate so I was wondering if anyone had used any kind of thick pastes to create texture on greenware. 

curtis does have a good demonstration on YouTube also where he first applies a porcelain slip, then the paste and then more porcelain slip after he has made the textures. He also uses a blow torch and heat gun. 

I was thinking it involves a mixture of slip and molochite perhaps? It holds its body very well. 

thanks!

Looks like crackle slip from examples on his web page? Are you thinking of something different?

Well, I just learned that something I have been doing since first putting my hands on clay, which I call "excavating"  (series Excavations) has a name for the approach, the Japanese term kuri nuki (carving out). I didn't know the term--it is just something I do 'cuz I like it!  Cool.