14 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

Hopefully there's porta potties close to my booth,

I buy a drink from the nearest coffee shop and save the cup. When I need to use the washroom I take the cup with me and use the one in the coffee shop. Sometimes they say they are for customers only so I just wave the cup at them when I go in. Those porta potties can get really nasty at a busy market, probably worse for women than men.

If you get into it I would be on the look out for a power station on sale. I bought a Schumacher 1200-Amp on sale at Lowes for $100 a couple of years ago and it is great. It has an 110/120 inverter built in and has a couple of AC plugs, USB ports (also 12v if you need). I plug in a USB charger that has both USB and AC plugs and then we plug in the pad we use for square and our 2 phones and 2 pads we use to surf when slow. I take it home and charge every night of the show and have never run out of power.  

Those portable packs may be all you need if all you want is your phone but they do stop charging after a while. The driving force for us buying  the larger station was that after years of using those small packs we had two of them go bad at a show we did not have the recharge power we thought we had. Made it through the show but it was dicey as my phone running the square program barely made 8 hours and was pretty much dead when we closed at 5.

Edited by Stephen
45 minutes ago, Stephen said:

If you get into it I would be on the look out for a power station on sale. I bought a Schumacher 1200-Amp on sale at Lowes for $100 a couple of years ago and it is great. It has an 110/120 inverter built in and has a couple of AC plugs, USB ports (also 12v if you need). I plug in a USB charger that has both USB and AC plugs and then we plug in the pad we use for square and our 2 phones and 2 pads we use to surf when slow. I take it home and charge every night of the show and have never run out of power.  

Those portable packs may be all you need if all you want is your phone but they do stop charging after a while. The driving force for us buying  the larger station was that after years of using those small packs we had two of them go bad at a show we did not have the recharge power we thought we had. Made it through the show but it was dicey as my phone running the square program barely made 8 hours and was pretty much dead when we closed at 5.

Good call, I have a few of those power stations (one for each car) for emergencies, they're basically a car battery with jumper cables and an inverter.  I'll bring them along just in case.  I don't have any pads or anything else to power.  I haven't decided whether I'm going to travel home each night or not, may end up sleeping in my truck instead to save on gas (it's about an hour drive away).

2 hours ago, liambesaw said:

I've got some portable USB power banks for my days there, because my booth has no power.  Trying to just run through things in my mind and anticipate stuff I haven't thought of yet.

I frequently do outdoor shows with no power supply without any battery back ups. A fully charged phone or iPad will last one whole day of processing credit cards, plus occasional emailing/texting.  Even if the show day is 10 hours long. Just don’t be surfing the web all day. Be stingy about checking weather maps, only when you really need to. Be diligent about charging everything up at night. Remember, simple is better. Learn how to work with as little gear as possible, 

3 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

Well from my other market experiences I know my phone will last about 4 hours when connected to the square via Bluetooth.  

yeah as they get older the batteries suffer don't they. I have a Samsung Note 3 (I think they are on like version 7 or 8 now) and it last shorter and shorter periods of time unplugged.

+1 for the cash apron over a box or bag.  With bathroom breaks you have to walk the fine line of not leaving your booth too much vs not giving yourself kidney stones. Carry your valuables with you, and make friends with your booth neighbour. Chances are they’re in the same situation, so it’s good if you can spot each other off briefly. 
I think an inverter in your booth is overkill if it’s just for your phone and your tap reader. If it lives in your vehicle, cool,  but it can probably stay in there barring something unusual. 

Here’s a question though: You didn’t mention show hours.  Are the operating times after dark at all? Do you need lights?

2 minutes ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

+1 for the cash apron over a box or bag.  With bathroom breaks you have to walk the fine line of not leaving your booth too much vs not giving yourself kidney stones. Carry your valuables with you, and make friends with your booth neighbour. Chances are they’re in the same situation, so it’s good if you can spot each other off briefly. 
I think an inverter in your booth is overkill if it’s just for your phone and your tap reader. If it lives in your vehicle, cool,  but it can probably stay in there barring something unusual. 

Here’s a question though: You didn’t mention show hours.  Are the operating times after dark at all? Do you need lights?

Show hours are 10 to 5 in April so it should be light all the way to 6.  I thought the same thing with the whole no electricity issue.  There's security guards at night so hopefully won't have to pack up every night

I have a simple handwritten sign that say “Back in five minutes tops!” for when I dash to the bathroom. If I have a friendly neighbor, I will ask them to keep an eye on things while I’m gone, and offer to do the same for them. 

I would drive home at night. I do one hour commutes sometimes, and it’s not bad.  You need to be well-rested and showered to be effective in your booth. 

As for powering your i phone or I pad for 3 show days of credit card use I use one of these.They are big enough to go the distance

https://smile.amazon.com/Portable-Charger-Anker-PowerCore-20100mAh/dp/B00X5RV14Y/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=battery+pack+charger+anker+A1271&qid=1579287523&smid=A294P4X9EWVXLJ&sr=8-3

I also use a cash register and have a car jumper battery which I invert to 110V to power but most vendors just use a phone/ipad

I like my register as it figures tax into sale and computes sales very quickly-You have seen my sales operation last summer when we traded mugs.

26 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

As for powering your i phone or I pad for 3 show days of credit card use I use one of these.They are big enough to go the distance

https://smile.amazon.com/Portable-Charger-Anker-PowerCore-20100mAh/dp/B00X5RV14Y/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=battery+pack+charger+anker+A1271&qid=1579287523&smid=A294P4X9EWVXLJ&sr=8-3

I also use a cash register and have a car jumper battery which I invert to 110V to power but most vendors just use a phone/ipad

I like my register as it figures tax into sale and computes sales very quickly-You have seen my sales operation last summer when we traded mugs.

I'll be using my square app as a cash register, you can put through cash sales in it as well as credit so I figure I'll just have it all in one spot to make calculating sales taxes at the end of the show easier.  

4 hours ago, liambesaw said:

I'll be using my square app as a cash register, you can put through cash sales in it as well as credit so I figure I'll just have it all in one spot to make calculating sales taxes at the end of the show easier.  

ditto here, we have always run the cash through both Paypal when we used them and Square when we switched. Makes my quarterly sales tax and end of the year K form a breeze.