Yes, vinegar works fine.
So does plain water, and a few other liquids.  I have used them all. 
the compression of the pieces is more important than the choice of liquid. Also wait until the sheen of the applied liquid goes away before putting the clay pieces together.  Too much liquid in the joint is not good!

LT

Edited by Magnolia Mud Research

I remember trying vinegar instead of water a long time ago--no success--didn't work,  just as plain water doesn't--the joins needed slip. I use either slip , slip w/vinegar, or, for the best result, Peggy Heer's "Spooze". This stuff generally works miracles for me, when I  can justify a "repair" or just need a super tight join. Once it sets, it may need sanding to smooth it to "invisibility". Here is her recipe from an old post:

Peggy Heer on sat 26 oct 96

Hi ...SPOOZE recipe one more time.....

1/3 dry clay body you are using
1/3 vinegar, ordinary white kitchen vin.
1/3 corn syrup, white or brown.
A drop or 2 of peroxide, out of your bathroom cabinet. This is to keep the
spooze from fermenting and giving off a real stink.
Make thin by adding more of the corn syrup or vin. Make thicker by adding
more of the dry clay body. The above rec. is only a base to start from.
I use my dried trimmings for my spooze and have a S. jar for each clay body
I use. Wash tools, brushes etc after using as the spooze will become cement
like and is not good for tools and brushes if they are left. If left with
out a good washing, soak in a cup of warm water till the spooze comes off.
Have a fun, sticky time. ;>}}}
As Always in Clay Peggy

With all the talk that seems to be running around lately about adding flocculants like Epsom salts or vinegar to glazes to affect how they flow I can see the logic in it. However I personally never noticed any difference between using vinegar vs plain water, or vinegar slip vs slip made with water. Wiggling the piece being attached until you can feel it “grab” seems to be a better determiner of attachment success. 

7 hours ago, LeeU said:

Hi ...SPOOZE recipe one more time.....

1/3 dry clay body you are using
1/3 vinegar, ordinary white kitchen vin.
1/3 corn syrup, white or brown.

Hi LeeU -

Many thanks for the reposting of the recipe.

When the recipe calls for "1/3" -  is that by volume? So 1/3 cup of each?

- Jeff

9 hours ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

With all the talk that seems to be running around lately about adding flocculants like Epsom salts or vinegar to glazes to affect how they flow I can see the logic in it. However I personally never noticed any difference between using vinegar vs plain water, or vinegar slip vs slip made with water. Wiggling the piece being attached until you can feel it “grab” seems to be a better determiner of attachment success. 

I agree;
But apple vinegar smells better than plain water and does change the local area to a slightly more adhesive environment.  My handbuilding is generally done with soft clay.

The corn syrup (it's sticky by design) in the SPOOZE mix helps with adhesion of stiff clay.  

LT

Vinegar works as a flocculant, same as it does it glazes. Clay particles will be electrically attracted to each other. Magic water works because of a couple things going on, the sodium silicate in it is sticky, it's going to physically help join the pieces. Sodium silicate also dries quickly and dries hard. Since magic water also contains flux, the clay when fired, will have a strong join. The soda ash and sodium silicate are both deflocs. The sugar in spooze acts like the sodium silicate insofar as being sticky and helping the join stay, well,  joined. The vinegar acts as a flocculant, same as if you just used straight vinegar. 

Edited by Min