Hi, I'm trying to figure out a way to customize or personalize finished ceramic pieces. In particular, funerary urns. I make some beautiful canisters and urns with wood and stone additions for lid knobs. Most sell for funeral ashes for people and pets. Of course, I now have people asking for personalization of them with names/dates. 

I'm pretty unwilling to go here if it means actually engraving greenware before bisque firing... or glazing in names before glaze firing... for fear of ruining a $100-$400 piece in it's UNpersonalized finished form. Should a customer just not like how the name looks, or actual lettering style, or size of the name, or placement of the name, or if they gave me the wrong spelling—the piece would be unsellable to anyone should the person making the custom order not want it. Or course I would be charging an advance, but hate to charge for a full price advance. And would be really upset if even at a half advance, the customer forfieted the final purchase because they didn't quite like something.

With so much technology available, what would be the other options to personalize an already finished piece. I would only do it if it were subtle (really don't want to be making signs or tacky ceramics with giant bold names on them. I'm thinkng of things like:

— making some sort of stencil and sandblasting name on a glazed portion?

— etching? with some sort of mechnical pencil/pen/handheld device?

— cold glazing(?) with a transparent(?) glaze of some sort?

At the outside edge of all this, I can always order a metallic name plate on a chain and hang it around the neck of the urn... but that's not what customers are asking for.

Appreciate any thoughts... this is my first time asking a question in this forum.

Deb

Hi and welcome!

I think glass etching cream used with a stencil could definitely be a simple, low input soloution. If you're getting a lot of these and this is becoming a business venture, looking into one of the decal making processes and adding a short third firing to china paint temperatures could be another one. With either of these soloutions, you could easily create a mock up to show the client.

If you're worried about people not liking a comission, you could also adjust your payment scheme slightly. Usually what I do is take a 50% deposit, with the second 50% payable only when the customer is satisfied with the outcome. That way I'm covered for time and materials, and they have some security in that I'll deliver something they'll like. Usually if people are coming to you with this sort of request, it's because they already like your style. Make sure they have a clear idea of the kinds of things you do before you take them on as a client, and let them choose.

Thanks Callie. I sell on Etsy already. I sell the urns from $100-$400 at the moment. I charge 50% more (plus get an advance) for a custom order. But if I take an existing $400 urn, add a name that the customer does not like in the long run, I've lost $400 for the original piece. Not really sure how to charge someone for this... and would hate to ruin a $400 piece.

Thoughts?

Never heard of an etching cream... is there a mechanical instrument involved or is this something that could be painted on? Im a good calligrapher with a brush.

Pic attached is one of my nicer sold as is urns. If I personalized it, I might do a very subtle small name date on the raw clay itself on the bottom third, or in the indent just under the rim.

051919__0008_Layer 57.jpg

Etching cream. It’s meant for glass, but I think it could be worth testing on a piece. Edit: there are some comments in the link below that say it’s easier to apply it with a sponge brush and a stencil, because it needs to go on thickly. You could probably work something out with a stencil cutter if you have one. 

https://www.amazon.com/Armour-Etch-15-0200-Cream-10-Ounce/dp/B001BE3UM4

If you’re handy with a calligraphy brush, why not just go gold lustre? If we’re talking funeral urns, that would be more than appropriate, and very tasteful. You could create a mock up with gold ink and clear film to shown the client before committing to anything permanent. 

okay the glass etching is fabulous. watching a youtube of how to do it on ceramics. i would just need to figure out how to make my own typographic stencils, and it looks like that may be something called a Cricut machine. 

as for the gold luster, I  hate gold and metallics unless they're super suble. my work is very primitive and raw. if i offer personalizaions, they will be small and subtle i think. i will probably even offer an alternative of a separate 'name tag on chain' on a brushed blackened pewter or something. konw of any other alternatives to lusters that are not bright and shiny? maybe even something transparent? i suppose i could just do a light calligraphic glaze of same color and fire a third time.

35 minutes ago, debwarr said:

okay the glass etching is fabulous. watching a youtube of how to do it on ceramics. i would just need to figure out how to make my own typographic stencils, and it looks like that may be something called a Cricut machine. 

as for the gold luster, I  hate gold and metallics unless they're super suble. my work is very primitive and raw. if i offer personalizaions, they will be small and subtle i think. i will probably even offer an alternative of a separate 'name tag on chain' on a brushed blackened pewter or something. konw of any other alternatives to lusters that are not bright and shiny? maybe even something transparent? i suppose i could just do a light calligraphic glaze of same color and fire a third time.

There are lustres of every shade under the sun. They are subtle on unfired or matte surfaces, even the gold and platinum lustres go matte.  

Exactly, I believe that will be one of my options. Some sort of name tag.

I think I'll research urns in general and see the ones that carry 'minimal' information about the person, like name and dates. Then spin my head around some tasteful ways to execute it. I like the etching idea alot. I also am seeing simple little etching pens (thinner than dremels, thicker than pens) and I have a good freehand with different styles (am a graphic designer). So that may also be a nice subtle addition.

Have seen customized lid, particularly the inner lid (where there are two lids), in other threads on this site.

https://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/21271-firing-text-into-clay/?tab=comments#comment-171244

...which may be an option for you and/or some customers, where the info is committed, but concealed.

I always throw extra lids, due to oops!, oh, $#|*, arrg, hmm, hrrm, heh, and the like.

As far the pendant idea mentioned by LinR, you can make it out of clay in whatever design you want...something that would go with the particular piece you are selling. you can make up some generic samples in different type styles and designs to show customers prior to making the final pieces...

I can make the pendant from clay but will still be faced with engraving or etching or painting words and letters on it. Lotta room for error and unlegibility there. If I do a pendant I'm thinking something etched in metal... whether I get a small machine or simply order them online I think.

Very interesting... haven't seen anything like this inside a lid.

4 hours ago, Hulk said:

Have seen customized lid, particularly the inner lid (where there are two lids), in other threads on this site.

https://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/21271-firing-text-into-clay/?tab=comments#comment-171244

...which may be an option for you and/or some customers, where the info is committed, but concealed.

I always throw extra lids, due to oops!, oh, $#|*, arrg, hmm, hrrm, heh, and the like.

Archived