Giffin Grip New vs Old Version

DBPottery

I have a Giffin Grip that is about 15 years old. I have never replaced the pads on the sliders. I see there is tune up kit with the new slider design. Is it worth upgrading? Maybe my pads are worn out (seem fine, but don't have new pads to compare to)?I'm found lately I have to use pieces of clay to help secure a pot to the Giffin Grip or the pressure of the sliders deforms the rim. Do the new sliders grip better? 

What are your thoughts? 

https://kruegerpottery.com/collections/giffin-grip-and-accessories/products/gttuneup

yes, mr Giffin is very helpful about anything to do with his invention.  contact them by phone and discuss the problem if you actually have one.  do not call before at least 11 am your time because they are on Lummi  Island,  almost in the pacific ocean.

I like the new sliders.  (Blue Plastic)  Used without the legs, they have a larger contact area.  I don't use the adjustable legs set much.  Occasionally I'll use a piece of shelf rubber to offset a not quite true bottom with the legs.  I think the legs have a better grade of foam contact.  The GG might be one of my most used tools, I've certainly gotten my moneys worth from it.  I'll buy any upgrade they put out without question.

anyone looking for info about giffin grips should look at every page on the giffin website.  there is a lot of info available there.

DB, i needed to replace the pads after many years because they wore unevenly.  you cannot center things if one of the pads is thinner than the others.  the new ones are just a piece of foam rubber with adhesive on the back.  you clean off the hard plastic before sticking the new one on.  that is only for the flat ones, not the rods.

cactus, i have not used the rods for years because i make flatter things.   when i apply slip to bowls, i used to use only the low sliders.  the new ones would interfere with putting slip all the way to the top, (bottom) of the bowls.   now i put the sliders inside the bowls so i do not run into them with a brush or tool as i work.   i do not want to have taller ones.

I own and use a few giffin grips. I like the old style for many reasons and the new style for a few as well.

The old style is lower and you can trim more of a form if you need to. The newer blue style is taller /larger and grips more but also can get in the way more.It can wack your fingers more as well.

I suggest buying replacement pads-I stock them always and tend to use my own contact cement as the glue they use comes off easy on certain ba=tches of the pads.

I have a dedicated trim wheel with all the giffin stuff on a shelve and tend to use the smaller sliders more.I have a gioffen set up with both kinds.

If you use the longer arms much the newer style works better with them I feel.

I also have the huge giffen grip for jumbop platters and its a pain in the butt to use 

18 minutes ago, Stephen said:

sweet! If I can get enough to fall into place we are looking at San Juan Island for at least half the year and maybe full time. 

If you are there in August stop by my booth at the Ancortes art festival-1st weekend in August

2 hours ago, Min said:

Beautiful part of the coast! Have you missed the rain? ;)

Lived in the Seattle area for almost 30 years and moved to Texas a few years ago (grew up in Houston and college at UT) and while I do not miss the rain I do miss the beauty. We were very active and spent a lot of time camping and enjoying the northwest and the Islands and Port Townsend/Port Angeles areas are the best. Sky Valley is also fantastic but we lived there pretty much the whole time so want something different. My 3 decades experience tells me Anacortes or Friday Harbor.

19 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Lived in the Seattle area for almost 30 years and moved to Texas a few years ago (grew up in Houston and college at UT) and while I do not miss the rain I do miss the beauty. We were very active and spent a lot of time camping and enjoying the northwest and the Islands and Port Townsend/Port Angeles areas are the best. Sky Valley is also fantastic but we lived there pretty much the whole time so want something different. My 3 decades experience tells me Anacortes or Friday Harbor.

Whidbey is really nice, and still comparitively cheap.  I would love to move there, but that's on the back burner since we both work in Bothell.

20 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

Whidbey is really nice, and still comparitively cheap.  I would love to move there, but that's on the back burner since we both work in Bothell.

We always did what we called 'the loop' on a sunny day when relatives or friends came in. It started early morning with a drive from sky valley (In between Gold Bar\Index) to La Conner for morning shop hopping, lunch in Anacortes on Fidalgo if we got an early enough start and then drive down through Deception Pass for view/pics and then down to walk on ferry to Port Townsend for a couple hours shop hopping and then ferry back to Whidbey and drive around to Langley for dinner at a place called the Prima Bistro that has a rooftop patio that overlooks the sound and then a ferry over to Mukiteo and an hours drive home. Usually several different beaches worked into the mix for short walks.

We were always dragging in around midnight with everyone asleep in the car(but driver. me) but it was always a day to remember for everyone. 

Ha ha on RE prices. Yeah here in Texas you can get a huge 2500-3000' foot upscale house on an acre in a acre community for 400-450k and that buys you a really basic 60 year old rambler there but hey it's all about location right? Texas has its charm but the PNW really, really rocks and at this point I have spent about half my life in each place.

We do the same drive every year! My boss that retired about 8 years ago has a big crab boil and BBQ every summer (the same weekend as marks show in Anacortes) so we drive around.  BTW, time to make that move, there's still 500k houses there on big pieces of property: https://www.redfin.com/WA/Freeland/5534-Cameron-Rd-98249/home/16683659?utm_source=android_share&utm_medium=share&utm_nooverride=1&utm_content=link

Been doing that show show since early 90s and seen a few changes. I also dive Keystone (the ferry jetty) after the show every year taking underwater photos since the middle 90s.

Widbey is still nice  in areas (Friday Harbor is a zoo in summer) Anacortes prices went sky high about 15 years ago and the town has yuppafied the past decade quite a bit.

La conner same deal. The ocean is what keeps the winter climate at bay so the closer you are to it the warmer in winter. Also cooler summers.

My friends own the lake Campbell Motel and I stya there for at least a week every year-I used to stay in thier guest house on Lake but they rented it full time now.Been there the whole time I have been going. I have also dove in The San Juans and last year we did Lopez islands dive by boat. I have used my Proton Magnometer to search for a Japanese submarine back in the 90s as  well in the sound. I like the area but not more than where I live as there are less people here.

Archived