I tried it on 1 pot.  I love the stuff.. I cant stop using it now, trying different ways to apply and dry it to see the results.. i have been adding texture under and carving over it as well.. its just fun to explore as you dont know what your going to get.. you know its going to crack but you do not know how, thin,thick,deep,shallow,vertical,horizontal , small or large or all of them combined..  There have been some results that i have wanted to recreate but i think its going to be very hard to do.. im thinking it was the thickness of the clay wall more than the Silicate or maybe how it was dried. i been drying them 3 ways. Natural,Torch and Heat gun..

I have had some bad results as well. I threw a 5 lb tall cylinder and left the wall pretty thick.. i got about half way through forming it and it cracked all the way through..  Sad part is the pattern i was getting was very stunning and i loved it.. 

If you have any advice or want to post pictures of pots you have made with S. Silicate, i would love to see them..

I like it occasionally, only because it's a really strong textural element.  Whatever piece it's applied to is then a sodium silicate crackle piece and other design elements tend to be ignored. 

It does look awesome, but with my current glazes it's hard to figure out a good glazed look with it.

Have you tried mixing a slip with a dollup of sodium Silicate and painting it on instead of applying directly to the surface? Might help with cracking all the way through.  Might sponge the inside down a bit after heating too, to loosen up the inside surface so it's less likely to crack.  

In my experience a longer torching will make a deeper crack.  I torch til it is a dull sheen and usually don't have issue.

yes, min, that is how i used it and the look i got.   i think crusty has something else in mind.

crusty, do you have photos of finished work done some other way?

Oldlady- we just ordered all of our slip ingredients and some colorants.  we want to work with slips for a while .. we also seen where folks are making a slip and putting the SS into the slip but we are not sure on the amount.. we will have to work that out..

liambesaw- One thing i have noticed about the torch is, if i get it to hot and steam comes out of the top i normally have pot cracking or the base will torque off the bat.. ill sponge the inside and give it a shot,Thanks..  we are thinking of using slips and a clear  and a Celedon glaze and see how it looks..

Min, i like that pot, pots like that is something we want to make.. 

were very open to ideas - were experimenting , we do not have any finished pots yet. Bone dry and have some still drying out.. we plan on a bisque next week.. i recently had to grind my kiln shelves and i still need to put kiln wash on them..

1# of Crocus martis red- cobalt carbonate- 5# copper carbonate - Rutile  /some Darvan 7 as well... making a bunch of test tiles today on the wheel.. its going to take some testing ...

what are you planning to do with those last ingredients?   if you are making  colored slip, the cobalt carb will be good. 

the crocus martis red is an ingredient in one of my glaze recipes but it makes everything so very red that if i use it at all, it is the last thing i do because cleaning up after it is a nightmare.   keep it as separate from everything else as possible.  i have washed the dishes, showered and washed my hair and still had red under my fingernails.   ugh!

rutile will hardly give you any color, a rutile wash does a nice job  but i would not use it in slip, not strong enough to color much.

most of my colored slips are made from my basic clay slurry and mason stains.  i use cobalt carb and copper carb but nearly everything else is made from stains.   if you have any underglazes, you might find them helpful, just add to some slurry.  you cannot duplicate the colors since it is hard to measure the combination but maybe one quart of slip is enough for your use.

if you look at my profile and under it "albums"  you can see some slip colors that i made several years ago on test tiles.  there are 2 pages of photos, not sure which page you will find them.  if you want to see the glaze made from crocus martis, it is there somewhere over a couple of licorice black things.

Edited by oldlady
add

3 hours ago, Crusty said:

we also seen where folks are making a slip and putting the SS into the slip but we are not sure on the amount.. we will have to work that out..

Generally speaking using a thin layer of sodium silicate and/or not drying it out too much will give a finer pattern. Put it on heavily and really dry it out so it looks like a candy shell and you'll get thicker cracks. For putting it right in the slip try about 1TBS sodium silicate in about 1/4 cup of slip. Again, thinner/wetter will get you a more delicate pattern. If you use really thick slip and glop it on there thickly (like frosting) you can get really deep cracking like tree bark. 

I'll check them out old lady. 

Thanks Min. so far we been using just SS over the form. we will try that to.. 

my photos must be to big, I'll try to resize them..

How are you applying the sodium silicate....just thinking about the clean up. I have destroyed brushes. I know that this isn't the artistic part of the process, but my inefficient clean up makes me want to use it less.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I haven't used it with slip, but have used it while throwing the pot and stretching it. I love the effect!

Yes, i actually seen the picture and notice it looked "off" ..  sometimes i put them in while wet, sometimes i use a small carving loop tool my wife got for me... i looked in your albums, the color you have on those big leaf designed platters is nice.. like a Tan maybe?  i want a tan. soft yellow color to use..  

Just now, Selchie said:

How are you applying the sodium silicate....just thinking about the clean up. I have destroyed brushes. I know that this isn't the artistic part of the process, but my inefficient clean up makes me want to use it less.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I haven't used it with slip, but have used it while throwing the pot and stretching it. I love the effect!

I swoosh it really fast in a bucket of water.. no problems at all with it hardening up as long as i do it rite after im done with it.

17 minutes ago, Selchie said:

Thanks. I will have a bucket of water close at hand. I was waiting, with obvious bad results!

Don't rinse it near any reclaim, sodium Silicate will ruin clay so if you recycle, keep it away.

After it dries you can make a solution of lye water and soak it for a bit in there to dissolve it again.  Really does turn to glass if you let it dry

selchie, get the Dollar Tree house painting brushes that come 3 for a dollar and clean them immediately or toss later if you have to.

crusty,   i have never used a tan glaze.  i saw that you liked the smaller green glazed squares because they came up when i opened the post.   the only thing i can think of as tan is the large, round tray with leaves on it.  that photo was taken after i sprayed blue slip over the entire tray,  if so,  you are looking at the wet slip as it dries and before i removed the leaves with a needle.  there is a shot showing the blue slip after it dried, too.

if you were looking at some of the studio photos, you can see that i use many colored slips, they are all over the place in plastic take-out tubs from the chinese restaurants i frequent.   you can buy them empty with lids if you find the  heavy duty ones and the owners of the store are willing.

still playing around.  My order did not get on the transfer today,  kind of bummed about that.. not to mention they sold me stuff that was out of stock.. I did use a Underglaze over the SS , Black on White looks pretty good.. I used the torch to dry the SS and UG .. i used slip on the inside of the pot and when it started to tighten up i added water with a sponge.. it was pretty firm but it did move, i cant believe how thin you can get with this stuff...

ssUNDER UNDERGLAZE.jpg