Firing text into clay

Hello,

I've tried in vain to find in internet searches how to fire text into clay, and hoping someone can advise me.  Attached is a photo of what I'm attempting to achieve- which is typing in various fonts and sizes and printing, then transferring it via the firing process onto clay as seen in the photo. Any advise? I am an ametuer at firing, I just got a mini kiln for the sole purpose of trying this process, which is a bigger part of mosaic art that I do. (My interest is to  enhance projects with quotes.)  Thank you in advance for any assistance!

il_1588xN.1889730974_9x9w.jpg

30 minutes ago, Stephen said:

you can also screen print onto bisque using under-glazes.

Thank you Stephen. I have no experience with owning a kiln, and recieved a mini one for Christmas for the purpose of firing clay quotes for mosaic pieces that I make. After seeing that I need access to a ceramic type printer and special sheets, I'm re-thinking if I've been off more than I can chew.  :-(

IMG_5467.JPG

If you have Milestone decals print your verses on the decal paper, it fires to 017 or so, which you could probably do in your little kiln.  You can also have Mayco burn silk screens for you with your verses, then use underglaze to put on your pieces.   Milestone isn't as expensive as a person would think.  They are very helpful and you could at least get an idea of what it would cost to print what you need.

14 minutes ago, Roberta12 said:

If you have Milestone decals print your verses on the decal paper, it fires to 017 or so, which you could probably do in your little kiln.  You can also have Mayco burn silk screens for you with your verses, then use underglaze to put on your pieces.   Milestone isn't as expensive as a person would think.  They are very helpful and you could at least get an idea of what it would cost to print what you need.

There's also a guy on eBay who burns a full size screen for 20 bucks shipped, anything you want.  You could fit a bunch of words and sayings on a full.sized screen.  

8 hours ago, Roberta12 said:

Thank you so much Roberta. Would I need a special printer to print onto Milestone decal paper?

15 hours ago, Pam L. said:

Thank you Stephen. I have no experience with owning a kiln, and received a mini one for Christmas for the purpose of firing clay quotes for mosaic pieces that I make. After seeing that I need access to a ceramic type printer and special sheets, I'm re-thinking if I've been off more than I can chew.  :-(

ha ha, yeah pottery can get complicated and/or tedious real fast. One thing about the screen printing is that you do it once and then can use the screen over and over again so that at least means that you can set aside time to do a bunch and then be done with it until you have another batch you want to do. You can probably fit a lot of quotes on one screen and then cut them out and use as you go. 

edit: Just saw liam's post, that sounds like a really good option and low hassle. If you do go with the screen print I would first do a screen with a bunch of text sizes and styles so you can see which ones work the best.

58 minutes ago, Stephen said:

One thing about the screen printing is that you do it once and then can use the screen over and over again so that at least means that you can set aside time to do a bunch and then be done with it until you have another batch you want to do. You can probably fit a lot of quotes on one screen and then cut them out and use as you go.

Excellent idea - you've essentially created a printers layout. Work on a large press sheet then cut out the individual pages. You can multiple up different images as well depending on your production needs.

@Pam L. - those are also lovely quotes. The definition of calories is spot on! Trying to get rid of those sneaky little buggers myself :D

- Jeff

18 hours ago, Stephen said:

you can also screen print onto bisque using under-glazes.

I wanted to silk screen my prints onto decal paper, but how does that work? Water slide decals use a cover coat to keep the water from damaging the print. Is this the same thing to do with printing underglaze?

21 minutes ago, Mark (Marko) Madrazo said:

I wanted to silk screen my prints onto decal paper, but how does that work? Water slide decals use a cover coat to keep the water from damaging the print. Is this the same thing to do with printing underglaze?

Screen print onto newsprint or rice paper. Be sure any words are backwards.  Then simply wet the bisque with a spray bottle, apply the paper underglaze side down, and spray the back of the newsprint and use a sponge to dab it on.  Then you can smooth it with a rubber rib and gently lift it off like a temporary tattoo.

Underglaze decals can be used in the wet/leather hard stage too. I find them easier to do at this point as they bleed less readily during application. 

Edited to add:  this would probably be the ideal method to apply the kind of text our OP is talking about. Silkscreen the mirror image text with an under glaze (purchased or homemade), and apply during the making stages. 

10 hours ago, liambesaw said:

Screen print onto newsprint or rice paper. Be sure any words are backwards.  Then simply wet the bisque with a spray bottle, apply the paper underglaze side down, and spray the back of the newsprint and use a sponge to dab it on.  Then you can smooth it with a rubber rib and gently lift it off like a temporary tattoo.

Thanks. Ill have to give it a go. Have a great New Year.

1 hour ago, Mark (Marko) Madrazo said:

Thanks. Ill have to give it a go. Have a great New Year.

You too!  Enjoy the process! I have been monoprinting with a black slip/underglaze recently, it is a lot of fun as well.  I make a master drawing, and then make hand-traced copies onto rice paper with my underglaze mix.  Then I use them like any slip transfer.  Has been turning out well, I'll be making a video soon.  Here is an example of the result:

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191230093109716_COVER-1209x1612.jpg

I use rubber stamps often for dates, and short quotes. Small rubber stamp letters often come with a set of frames(circular and rectangular) that allow a series of letters to be arranged. I will stamp into slip over darker clay, stamp into wet clay or stamp using a stamp pad with stain colors on glazed clay or bisqued slips. These techniques have served well when doing wedding jars, or funerary urns.

best,

Pres 

DonnieW%252C2.JPGThis Image is from a funerary urn made in 2016. It shows a pressed area in the center with the man's name, and incised areas in outer ring for the dates of birth and death. These are made with two lids, one that is as you see, and another that is meant to be placed over top to protect the bottom lid. A circular frame held the letters for the name in place for stamping. Tough to remember to spell things backward!

best,

Pres

Archived