Ceramic fibre to the rescue.

Recent catastrophic fires in Australia annialated Balmoral township.

Well known potter Stephen Harrison survived the fire which wiped out his pottery and property by taking refuge in a ' ceramic board "coffin he'd erected the day before from an old kiln..ceramic board structure nestled against a garden retaining wall. 

Just saying...do not try this at home. He just couldnt get out fire descended quickly...roads closed

6 minutes ago, Babs said:

Recent catastrophic fires in Australia annialated Balmoral township.

Well known potter Stephen Harrison survived the fire which wiped out his pottery and property by taking refuge in a ' ceramic board "coffin he'd erected the day before from an old kiln..ceramic board structure nestled against a garden retaining wall. 

Just saying...do not try this at home. He just couldnt get out fire descended quickly...roads closed

Amazing story of survival!

The 2003 Cedar Fire wiped out my neighborhood.  I used my kiln as a fire safe for electronics, etc.  Stuff I didn't want to lose, but couldn't evacuate.  Of course if the propane tank next to the kiln blew, it would be a moot point.  As it turned out, we were almost completely spared.

We have had fires burning across Kansas but I am more concerned about tornadoes.   I am worried about a tornado wiping my studio off the face of the earth and fling my jars of chemicals across the land.  They are plastic jars with snap on lids,  I wonder if putting each one in a large zip lock bag would help.  I probably should carry the most dangerous ones down to the basement during tornado season.  I had a friend that had her house completely wiped away off of the foundation,  the only thing they found when they came out of the basement was their mini-van in the neighbors tree.  It is hard to plan for these kind of disasters.   I am glad he survived the fire.   Denice

We have bad wildfires every year on the west coast, due to poor forest management.  But luckily I live in an area where this is never a concern.  Our worry here is earthquakes, and while very unsettling and can ruin a day very quickly, they're somewhat mild when it comes to structural damage and such.  May need to repair your home or equipment but fingers crossed won't flatten anything.  I'm always amazed at how fast these wildfires can overcome an area and how fast they leave as well.  It's something I hope to never experience!

An interesting side note about earthquakes... I've experienced 4 big ones in Seattle over my years, but I have experienced a major one 5 out of 7 times I've been to Japan for a visit, including the Sendai quake that caused the giant tsunami on japans eastern coast.  Everyone jokes now when I leave for Japan asking me not to cause another massive quake.

Wild fire is a natural part of the ecology where I live.  It was really amazing to see how the chaparral rebounded after rain.  The important thing is to maintain clearance.  If you allow the natural growth right up to your house, you're asking for trouble.   Everyone has something, seemingly, but I'll have to pass on the tornadoes.  Sounds really bad. 

17 hours ago, CactusPots said:

The 2003 Cedar Fire wiped out my neighborhood.  I used my kiln as a fire safe for electronics, etc.  Stuff I didn't want to lose, but couldn't evacuate.  Of course if the propane tank next to the kiln blew, it would be a moot point.  As it turned out, we were almost completely spared.

That's what my daughter suggested I do, too. Makes sense to me. In the big Laguna fires years ago, the potter with an unopened finished glaze load lost about everything but those pots!

Liam I get the same comments from people asking me not to bring a tornado with me.  We left for Orlando one spring and there was 6 tornadoes above the airport.   Our flight was late to leave because the passengers were in the basement.  We got to Orlando in the middle of the night there was a tornado there that morning.  We were having earthquakes for a while because of oil fracking.   They finally passed some laws on how the oil companies handled the deluge of water they were pumping into the layers of limestone.   We had one quake that hit our house so hard it sounded like a truck had hit it.  With oil prices being low the fracking has stopped for now.   It is awful what fracking does to the earth, it reminds me of strip mines in West Virginia.   Denice

Archived