How to make colored resist (Cuerda Seca) that can be printed with silkscreen

Michael D

I'm new here! 

I am trying to start a small venture with my daughter, hoping to make what are called "cuerda seca" tiles. I see some companies making the patterns with a silkscreen, but by all the research i've done, it seems like using a colored wax resist (say, by Altofsa) will clog the screen up after only a few passes. 

Has anybody here make a successful wax resist that works well with silkscreening? I've heard everything from mixing wax resist with underglaze; mixing manganese (or stain) with linseed oil (stand oil); Some say to use frit;  etc.  Hhas anybody actually done this and achieved a line that holds strong enough to resist the colored glazes that are then filled in? And does the line actually adhere permanently with the bisque tile without bleeding, or flaking etc?

thanks

Michael

There's a reddit post where someone figured out how to screen the cuerda seca onto tiles. Basically they use underglaze plus CMC plus Stand Oil, put it through a sieve then let it evaporate down. They said they could get about 6 screens done before the silkscreen started clogging up. reddit post here. If you and your daughter do try this is would be great if you came back here and posted your results.

Welcome to the forum!

Archived