Stacking Glazed Plates

Skip

8 minutes ago, Skip said:

I am a new potter and have made some dinner plates. When I stack them in the cupboard should I put something between the plates to keep the rough bottom of a plate from rubbing the plate beneath it?

Sand the bottom so it's not rough.  Buy this: .https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071VYPL5M/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_95b8DbP0Q9NP8  Slap it on a bat, lubricate well, and go to town on the bottom of your plates and mugs and whatever else you don't want marking up tAbles and counters and whatnot.

I stack plates and bowls in the cupboard and they dont scratch each other.

Thank you so much for this great tip. What do you lubricate it with, water or some kind of oil?

11 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

Sand the bottom so it's not rough.  Buy this: .https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071VYPL5M/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_95b8DbP0Q9NP8  Slap it on a bat, lubricate well, and go to town on the bottom of your plates and mugs and whatever else you don't want marking up tAbles and counters and whatnot.

I stack plates and bowls in the cupboard and they dont scratch each other.

3 hours ago, liambesaw said:

You can use silicone caulking to adhere it to a bat.  I just put a piece of sticky shelf liner on the bat and put the disc on top of that and let pressure do the work.  Use plenty of water to lubricate.

Thanks so much!!

Burnishing - after trimming, whilst still damp/leatherhard - might help as well. I smooth foot ring and trimmed area with a metal rib before removing trimmed piece from the wheel; the inner corners and any grooves respond well to the outer edge of a small loop tool.

Prevention of burrs is less work than sanding for sure. Work clean, and putting your pieces on a very smooth surface to dry is a big help too. I second Neil’s use of 220 grit set/dry sandpaper for anything that gets missed. 

I’m going to point out though that if your glaze is scratched easily by a reasonably finished foot rim this glaze may have durability issues, and might not be the best choice for plates. 

Archived