Bam2015

Glazes for speckled clay

Hello Everyone,

Before I post my question, which is my first to this site, I'd like to say how much I enjoy and appreciate this forum. What an incredible wealth of information, and such a supportive and generous group of potters. 

My question/issue......I am using Laguna #50 speckled clay w/manganese and have tested some Amaco Potter's Choice, brushed on. The results have been less than impressive. I made 30+ test tiles of various combos and there weren't any that I like. I tried the same combos on B-Mix and like them. However, I prefer a speckled clay, but that's because I like the appearance of the speckled foot & bottom. 

Has anyone had success with brushed on Amaco Potter's Choice, Celadon, or High Fire series on Laguna #50 or a similar speckled clay? I did a lot of Googling, but can't find any combos, and I know I will still have to test regardless of recommendations. 

I am a member at a studio and have access to their glazes where I can dip, but it seems that once someone comes up with a nice combo, everyone else starts using the same combo. I'd like my pots to be glazed a bit different from everyone else. 

Thanks all. 

Betty

Have you tried using a white slip over areas you don't want to be speckled?  That might be an option, it may be just enough to stop the bleed through, or maybe enough to even make the glaze act more like it's on bmix.

An alternative would be to use bmix and paint the areas you want speckled with a speckled slip

Edited by liambesaw

Welcome to the forums, Betty. Take Liam's suggestion of using a white slip, which may work, or you can use B-Mix, and on the foot and bottom of the pot, take a black or brown underglaze on a toothbrush or other stiff brush and finger stroke to get the spatter that you want. It will take a little practice to get the spatter pattern you like, but then you can use the PC glazes on the B-Mix to come up with some good outcomes. Look at my album to get an idea of some of what I've done. I've been throwing B-Mix ^5 and using PC layered glazes for a number of years and coming up with some really nice combos which I would be happy to share if you'd like. Good Luck...

JohnnyK

Liam & Johnny, thank you both for the suggestions. I think I’ll try both & decide what I like best. They both sound like good options.

I bought a speckled underglaze a few years ago that I think would have worked great, but think it has been discontinued.  Does anyone know of a speckled underglaze or how one might add something to an underglaze to make it look like speckled clay? 

Liam, if you are willing to share PC layering on B Mix, that would be great, thank you.

Betty

You can add granular manganese or granular ilmenite to a white slip or white underglaze to mimic a speckled look.  I'm sorry but I don't use potters choice glazes so I don't have any combinations I can suggest, I think @JohnnyK was saying he uses them though

Edited by liambesaw

Thank you Liam, glad to hear I can mimic the speckled clay with manganese. Of course, test, test, test.

I have about a dozen pieces bisqued to 06. Wondering if I can brush on white underglazes & then brush on  Amaco glazes to get the same or similar look of glazes on B Mix. 
Is this something that some of you know won’t  work, or should I do some tests?
And if I try that, should I  layer glazes on right after underglazes dry & fire, or should I add underglaze, bisque again then add glaze & fire? 

Maybe I should have stayed quiet as I’ve done for 4 years. 

Edited by Bam2015

Is it that you don't like the way the speckles look in the glaze, or that the glazes themselves aren't looking good on the speckled body- like the colors aren't as nice? Glazes will look different on different clay bodies, regardless of the speckles. The same glaze can even look totally different on two different white stoneware bodies.

As Neil said, different clay body = different look.  Most of the pic's on Amaco's website, and the sample boards you'll see in a store, are done with a light buff clay (I think Amaco's # 46 Buff Stoneware).  

How many coats are you applying  ?    The number and thickness of coats can make a big difference in the results with any glaze, and the PC series is no different- especially when you're layering.   It might be that you need to adjust the number and/or thickness of coats applied.  (Two coats of base color & two coats of top color will give different results than two base & three top or three base & two top, etc.)  Some of the examples on Amaco's website clearly state how many coats of each was applied - others do not.

I've tried at-least a dozen different PC glazes, in various combinations, on Standard # 112 Speckled Brown.  Some I really like, some are just "OK", and others I've said "won't do that again" - but very few have come out looking anywhere close to the sample pic's.

Neil, it’s the look of the glazes that I don’t like. I am going to do a little experimenting with my bisqued pieces, try underglaze first & then glaze. Well see.

Rockhopper, yes noticed that Amaco samples are on buff. The Amaco site which shows layering doesn’t give a lot of info on number of costs for each.

Although this craft can be very frustrating, it is the complexity that keeps me engaged.

Have a great day everyone!

I use Amaco and Mayco^6  stoneware glazes.. Amaco you need 2-3 coats of each glaze but i like to use 3 coats of base glaze and 3 of the top glaze...  if you want something that really pops use  Mayco bright green and cinnabar.. i doubt they have used this one as the bright green is not a common layering glaze. dont get stuck on just the PC glazes, you can layer all the celedons under and over a PC glaze as well.. opens up a whole new color chart..I use a speckled clay made by Kentucky Mudworks, its a white clay base.. the only clay color i did not like was red clay bodies, i tried 2 of them and the colors were just darker and maybe even dull.. they didnt pop much at all..

https://www.amaco.com/glazes-and-underglazes/layering#bottom_glaze=273&page=2          

click on the picture you like- it tells you how many coats.. 3-3 is pretty common but there are some that are runny like salt buff and seaweed that may be 2..