Crusty

Gas VS Electric Kiln

I use hardwoods (mostly oak scrap from wine barrel and pallet making) early in the firing when I am looking for a slow steady climb, but in the later stages the hardwoods just burn too slow to maintain or increase temps over about 1900 degrees. 

Hardwood (especially oak) ash also takes longer to melt, so switching to pine for the last few hours helps reduce crusty ash buildup on the pots. 

Flame length can also be an issue.  Pine has a shorter burn length.  I have a smaller single-chamber wood kiln, so it does not matter much, but it could be harder to heat the back of the kiln the same with soft woods compared to hard woods.

10 hours ago, fergusonjeff said:

I use hardwoods (mostly oak scrap from wine barrel and pallet making) early in the firing when I am looking for a slow steady climb, but in the later stages the hardwoods just burn too slow to maintain or increase temps over about 1900 degrees. 

Hardwood (especially oak) ash also takes longer to melt, so switching to pine for the last few hours helps reduce crusty ash buildup on the pots. 

Flame length can also be an issue.  Pine has a shorter burn length.  I have a smaller single-chamber wood kiln, so it does not matter much, but it could be harder to heat the back of the kiln the same with soft woods compared to hard woods.

Seems consistent with the science. It’s popular to mix woods in other uses as well to take advantage of the natural characteristics of each. So nice workout!

i finally got the kiln back up and going.. did a break in on the coils and shes ready for tomorrows bisque.. installed the Pyrometer and made sure it was working properly.. the only thing i do not like about it is, it shuts itself off after about 10 minutes and i have to turn it back on ...

37 minutes ago, Crusty said:

i finally got the kiln back up and going.. did a break in on the coils and shes ready for tomorrows bisque.. installed the Pyrometer and made sure it was working properly.. the only thing i do not like about it is, it shuts itself off after about 10 minutes and i have to turn it back on ...

My pyrometer is the same. Lemme guess, the red one 

2 hours ago, Hulk said:

Mine's greenish-yellow, also shuts down after some minutes; timed shutoff can be overridden, however, does extend battery life...

Mine is any VOM I have handy so either grey or red or yellow. They all auto shutoff  though so a bit annoying.

I am addicted to the  PLC graphic monitor now and am also addicted to the digital temp module displays which are cheap now as well and as plug in to the wall, stay on permanently.  When I venture to other kilns I miss the graphics. Oddly after I created the software and graphics, one of the most useful pieces of info among many others Is knowing the firing rate. Unexpected benefit for sure. Now everyone is used to dialing up 200  - 500  degrees per hour or whatever they like.  More toys the better  I guess.. 

Turns out full blown controller is 39.00 bucks and panel meter is 70.00. Controller makes for nice always on display.

A6A79087-7044-490E-8E67-D2294FAF3C09.png

Edited by Bill Kielb