Thanks to this forum I made my first ceramic pieces!

I posted some questions a few months ago asking about tips about slib casting. People were very helpful and thanks to this forum I created my first pieces, thank you for introducing me to this world!

I still have a lot to learn and improve, but I am happy how they came out. I have contact now with a professional ceramist to see if I can take this to a next level. I also created a page (http://urchinceramics.com/) to see if there is interest for a small production run. If you have any cool tips on how I can promote this ceramic piece, let me know :)

Prototypes.jpg

Urchin.jpg

Love it!

Beautiful design. Signed up for your notification list. 

Also - it would be great to see a video of it in use - is it messy? Since you're pushing laterally rather than down, is it tricky to use? Would also love to see it pouring - spouts are so hard to craft with clean pour. I've been trying to make a little milk pourer for about a year now and every single one just kind of dribbles. :( 

23 hours ago, Babs said:

Is the first photo your slipcasting and sevond photo a commercial piece?

Good luck with your venture

Both are mine, second one is a rendering.

4 hours ago, Stephen said:

Is this just a test? Great idea and pot. Is this an original design? The issue I see between the two pics ss the pour sprout. The 2nd picture shows what I think is a better execution of this. Way to go on figuring all of this out, have fun!

Yeah, it is a first test to see if it works. The design is mine. I want to clean up the edges more for the next version. I already redesigned the model, but I have to make a mold out of it.

47 minutes ago, kristinanoel said:

Love it!

Beautiful design. Signed up for your notification list. 

Also - it would be great to see a video of it in use - is it messy? Since you're pushing laterally rather than down, is it tricky to use? Would also love to see it pouring - spouts are so hard to craft with clean pour. I've been trying to make a little milk pourer for about a year now and every single one just kind of dribbles. :( 

Good idea to have a video. I get that question a lot, so that will clear it up. It is quite easy to use actually. I will work on a video.

Thanks for the subscription! 

Its a cool design, bet it sells well. If you are doing this to build a company and brand you might approach your video as a marketing tool to build backstory as opposed to talking to other potters. People that buy handmade tend care about the fact that what they are buying didn't come out of a million square foot factory in China. YouTube is a great place to post your video and embed on your site. Good luck, be sure and post your video so we can check it out.

• 4 weeks later...

That is just the prettiest little juicer I've ever seen! 

Ergonomically, picturing the cocked elbow/downward pressure needed for the usual juicers as opposed to the lateral arms positioned as needed for your design, it would appear that you've built a better juicer!! Congrats, hope you patent it and sell a bunch.

(There's some science to getting the pour spout drip-free. That would make it perfect!)

Archived