Hello

I used a series of 4 glazes layered on a recent set of plates. Every single one of them has crawled, especially on one particular colour which I’m guessing is the thicker application when layered? 
My question is, can I reglaze and refire them, perhaps to a lower temperature? They’ve been fired to cone 7 (electric), and it’s a Valentine’s Delta stoneware. 

I’ve refired plates before and they’ve broken right down the centre. I’ve seen people on here say they’ve had success with refiring and wondering if there’s a recommended technique.

Attached a couple of photos of the crawling. Hoping someone with more experience than I can provide a helpful suggestion. Other than telling me not to layer the glazes! Funnily enough I’ve used this glazing technique plenty of times on bowls without any problem.

Thanks in advance. 

AAA4625A-B07C-40BA-B73D-51CECBB35488.jpeg

C5A729B9-B013-4B0F-ADD3-5891758C3E12.jpeg

Edited by roobarb
Spelling

The top plate is amazing in the way it bridged! Having said that I would think success of refining is nearly zip. Just my opinion though,  mostly I have little to no success refiring.

Edited by Bill Kielb

Re-firing is definitely hit-or-miss.  But... if you've got room in the kiln, and the plates are otherwise destined for the trash bin,  why not give it a try ?  Don't expect miracles - but the worst that's likely to happen is you waste a little glaze, and still have to toss the plates.

Thanks. I suppose it’s worth a try to refire one and see what happens. Like you say, they’re destined for the bin anyway. I wish there was a way to reduce waste when firing goes wrong!

In the area where the glaze pulled away, you might take a grinder (Dremel with a diamond bit), then reglaze just that area. It looks like the rim is unglazed.. If that's the case, you might fire them rim down. I've had success with grind, reglaze and refire, but it was with very small bare spots. 

54 minutes ago, JohnnyK said:

If that's the case, you might fire them rim down.

I'ld be concerned about the plate slumping and fusing to the kiln shelf if they are fired upside down to cone 7 again.