Hydro-bat Plate Mold

I purchased 3 hydro-bat plate molds and used one last week. I rolled a 1/2 inch slab, cut it in a circle to 'almost' cover the mold and placed it on the mold. Using a sponge, I 'threw' the rim of the plate, thinning the clay somewhat, until it reached the end of the mold. Then I 'threw' a foot on the plate, therefore making the center of the plate thinner and creating a nice foot. I covered the mold with plastic for a day, then let it sit uncovered for a couple of days (my studio is in my basement so pieces don't dry quickly). I had to force the piece off the mold at the leather hard stage.....it was really stuck on. The plate turned out nicely despite the trouble releasing it from the mold.

Now to my main question. I decided I really don't like the plate shape and would like to alter the mold. I want to remove the indented part that indicates where the food goes and have a smooth plate interior. I was thinking of putting it on the wheel and taking a sur-form tool or sander to remove that raised surface. Has anyone altered these molds before? One of my concerns is that the underside of the mold is rough and has 'bubbles' and I'm afraid when I take off some of the surface, I might expose some of these bubbles that are now hidden and ruin the mold completely. They're too expensive to ruin! I've checked several sites and they don't make a hydro-bat mold with a smooth interior....all of them have this 'indention' for food placement.

No way to know for sure if you're going to get air bubbles as you trim down, but I think it shouldn't be an issue. The bottom has many because it was the top when the mold was being made. The bubbles migrate to the top when they vibrate the wet plaster to get the bubbles out. You can shave down the plaster with any tool, but it's going to create a ton of dust, so maybe try keeping it wet while you work. For the amount of work you're going to have to do, it may be just as easy to throw a plate and make your own hump mold.

Thanks for the replies. Making a new hump mold is probably the best way to go. I was checking some comments from other forums and it seems the hydro-bats are not just plaster....they have concrete mixed in so it probably wouldn't trim well.

Archived