Extra slow firing schedule for heavy pots

I'm firing an L&L kiln with an LT3140 controller. Am not acclimated to these digital controllers and am firing a somewhat precious load with pieces up to 1/2" thick walls and some going to 1" on the feet. I want a very conservative schedule to be on the safe side. Have had problems in the past with the default slow bisque schedule.  Here is what I'm thinking:

180 rate 50 hold 8 hrs

210 rate 15 hold 1

213 rate 1.5 hold 1

650 rate 150

700 rate 50

1050 rate 150

1100 rate 80

1655 rate 150

Cone 06 rate 80 hold 1

This will be my first programmed schedule - part of me still wishes I just had knobs to turn but I know this will be so much more convenient when I'm used to it... Thanks for any thoughts!

-Mark M

I don't think you're going to get any benefit in climbing super slow from 180 to 213. You're also putting too much faith in the ability of a controller to do super slow climbs. You might get regular temperature differences of 15 degrees during any climb. I wouldn't mess with rates less than 50 degrees per hour. Slower than that you're just wasting time. Better to get to the temp and hold. I would just do a long preheat at 180F, then climb at 75/hour all the way up. It will take about 24 hours after the preheat, but better safe than sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Mark, your work sounds a lot like mine.  I have texture sprig attachments, added feet, joinery and  lots of (paper) slip work.   Some pieces as big as 25lbs wet.   What I have found most effective is a substantial time under plastic to equalize the moisture before drying.  Then it dries  under bath towels.  The final step is a couple of days in the sun.  Using that, this is my bisque schedule.

40 degrees per hour to 120

hold 1 hour

80 degrees per hour to 200

hold 1 hour

250 degrees per hour to 1000

no hold

300 degree per hour to 1823 (cone 06)

It's 5 hours from start to closing the lid (propped open about 3" for burn out)

Very close to 10 hours complete.  I don't have breakage with this routine unless I miss guess how long a piece is in any phase.  It seems to me this is the best compromise between too slow and too fast.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2019 at 8:06 AM, CactusPots said:

Mark, your work sounds a lot like mine.  I have texture sprig attachments, added feet, joinery and  lots of (paper) slip work.   Some pieces as big as 25lbs wet.   What I have found most effective is a substantial time under plastic to equalize the moisture before drying.  Then it dries  under bath towels.  The final step is a couple of days in the sun.  Using that, this is my bisque schedule.

40 degrees per hour to 120

hold 1 hour

80 degrees per hour to 200

hold 1 hour

250 degrees per hour to 1000

no hold

300 degree per hour to 1823 (cone 06)

Very close to 10 hours complete.  I don't have breakage with this routine unless I miss guess how long a piece is in any phase.  It seems to me this is the best compromise between too slow and too fast.

Thanks - I got through that last firing ok, will compare  your schedule to what I ended up with!

• 10 months later...
On 11/17/2019 at 8:06 AM, CactusPots said:

40 degrees per hour to 120  3 hours

hold 1 hour

80 degrees per hour to 200 120-200 1hour

hold 1 hour

250 degrees per hour to 1000  200-1000 3.2 hours

no hold

300 degree per hour to 1823 (cone 06) 1000-1823 2.74 hours

But now that I'm trying larger pots, I'm seeing what I'm told are quartz inversion cracks and now I realize, I'm doing 300 an hour through QI.  Also, that the overall firing is too slow and I'm wasting time (money) at the lower temps.  There are 3 or 4 cracks running up the side wall of this wide low planter.

Also, this pot is almost the full width of the 23" electric kiln shelf, I'm making a deal on a reconditioned 1227 Skutt.  I'm told the larger kiln will be kinder to bigger pots like this.

Here's something I don't understand.  If I add up the times on the schedule I have listed, it comes to 12 hours.  The actual firing time is very consistent at 9.5 hours.  What am I missing?

Quartz crack resize.jpg

quartz crack 2 resize.jpg

hi guys,  i do not make huge pots but i do fire green to glaze in a single firing.   my normal load is very heavy, sometimes 9 shelves with spacing between 1 1/2 inch and 3 1/2 inches with flat slab pots.   i do make sure everything is dry, sometimes if in a hurry i will dry them in my kitchen oven at 180 degrees.   the point is, my normal firing time is 14 hours or a little more.  for years.  using the slow glaze with a preheat of 1 hour.

Archived