First bisques of the year after my surgery

I just loaded my car kiln with my 1st Bisque of the year with my studio assistant. We had lots of extras so we loaded the electric as well. I plan on glazing them over the next week. Usually a kiln load I can glaze in a day-not now. The pots are all small stuff as my throwing is just returning and these pots are not my best work-4-5#s maximum is all I can handle now until my strength/grip returns. We shall see how holding pots while glazing works come Monday.

If you recall I had the 3 lower bones removed last January (called a PRC) in my wrist. This recovery is one year for my grip to return (85%)-the physical Therapy is all about painful stretching of tendons as they are all ½ longer now that that my wrist is shorter. It takes time to shorten them back to normal length. I will loose about 30% mobility on wrist as well. I will add my choices were get my wrist fused to arm or this PRC (proximal row carpectomy). Neither sounded good but this one works best for a potter. Seems I injured right wrist 25-30 years ago and it all came to a head last summer/fall as the wrist came apart with pain and lack of mobility.

I’m not looking for sympathy just telling my story.

Now I’m slowing back into the studio after month’s away-

Clay work is good therapy for fingers and hand/wrist.

We shall see if I can glaze it all up-I really am lucky to have an assistant who can help out.

Mark

post-8914-133376443441_thumb.jpg

post-8914-133376443441_thumb.jpg

I just loaded my car kiln with my 1st Bisque of the year with my studio assistant. We had lots of extras so we loaded the electric as well. I plan on glazing them over the next week. Usually a kiln load I can glaze in a day-not now. The pots are all small stuff as my throwing is just returning and these pots are not my best work-4-5#s maximum is all I can handle now until my strength/grip returns. We shall see how holding pots while glazing works come Monday.

If you recall I had the 3 lower bones removed last January (called a PRC) in my wrist. This recovery is one year for my grip to return (85%)-the physical Therapy is all about painful stretching of tendons as they are all ½ longer now that that my wrist is shorter. It takes time to shorten them back to normal length. I will loose about 30% mobility on wrist as well. I will add my choices were get my wrist fused to arm or this PRC (proximal row carpectomy). Neither sounded good but this one works best for a potter. Seems I injured right wrist 25-30 years ago and it all came to a head last summer/fall as the wrist came apart with pain and lack of mobility.

I’m not looking for sympathy just telling my story.

Now I’m slowing back into the studio after month’s away-

Clay work is good therapy for fingers and hand/wrist.

We shall see if I can glaze it all up-I really am lucky to have an assistant who can help out.

Mark

Mark;

Good to see that you are back on the horse. The pots look good. Can you use glaze tongs with your left hand for glazing?

TJR.

TRJ

I use tongs and hand hold the bottoms for lip dips-lots of brush work as well-I will be using left hand as much as I can as the right simply is very weak still-I can barely hold on to a hammer. No heavy lifting still till may.

I plan on taking 5 days to do what I consider 1 long days work.My assistant will be helping me glaze these days as well.

Mark

Mark I can't believe that it's been a year since your surgery it must of seen like a eternity to you. I must say that you made good use of your off time helping people on the forum by answering their questions and I wanted to thank you for that. It was good to have the point of view from a prolific production potter on the forums, you also give hope to us aging potters that have various body parts wearing out that we can keep working. Denice

Denice

I had my surgery on this past January 3rd-not yet 4 months.

In one year I'm told my hand will feel like its mine again-like my left does now.

Mark

My wife just had some shoulder surgery for a bone spur and had to have one of the biceps tendons cut, along with some rotator cuff clean up. Knowing what she is going through give me some clue about your problems. It is my sincere wish that all goes well for you. Your bisque loads look full and like you have not let this get you down too much. Best of luck!

It's amazing how a car kiln can be stacked, it looks like it's going to fall over any minute.

Matt

I fire about 35 glaze fires a year in it since about 1979 so thats about 70 fires a year (bisque and glazes) times more years than I recall and its only gone over twice-once while glaze firing (cone 9 was down)in a big earthquake (7.0)

and another while rolling a bisque in.

all that was before I had the advancer shelves-That would be a heartbreak.

I do have a lot of extra shelves just in case.

Mark

That is very astonishing as I am thinking that how a car kiln can be stacked? It seems to be going to fall after a certain moment...Once my uncle also had the P.R.C and we've noticed that the proximal row carpectomy (PRC) is a motion preserving procedure which creates a new joint WITHOUT arthrosis. It is a frequently used procedure in stage II of a posttraumatic degenerative arthrosis of the wrist after scaphoid nonunion or scapholunate ligament instability (SNAC-/SLAC-wrist). However most of the people also get fettabsaugung for removing unwanted stuff from their bodies.

That is very astonishing as I am thinking that how a car kiln can be stacked? It seems to be going to fall after a certain moment...Once my uncle also had the P.R.C and we've noticed that the proximal row carpectomy (PRC) is a motion preserving procedure which creates a new joint WITHOUT arthrosis. It is a frequently used procedure in stage II of a posttraumatic degenerative arthrosis of the wrist after scaphoid nonunion or scapholunate ligament instability (SNAC-/SLAC-wrist).

Deeba

Thats my condition in a nut shell-it took 25-30 years from an unknown injury. How did your uncle recover as far as use of the hand?My hand/wrist new joint is 3 1/2 months old and I'm gaining strength daily.

Mark

Guest JBaymore

Glad to see you recovering and back to work so quickly.

The Advancers are a great help to potters writst, arms, shoulders, and back. I have a pretty good pile of them I use in the nobiorigama (talk about a technical dichotomy!!!!) and they are great.... light and strong and ash comes off them with a putty knife.

Don't push it too much... and set yourself back. let that assistant take some of the bruden til you are 100%.

I'm recovering from being quite ill back in Janauary myself... and know the frustration of not having your body willing to tackle what you mind says is a peice of cake.

best,

...................john

That is very astonishing as I am thinking that how a car kiln can be stacked? It seems to be going to fall after a certain moment...Once my uncle also had the P.R.C and we've noticed that the proximal row carpectomy (PRC) is a motion preserving procedure which creates a new joint WITHOUT arthrosis. It is a frequently used procedure in stage II of a posttraumatic degenerative arthrosis of the wrist after scaphoid nonunion or scapholunate ligament instability (SNAC-/SLAC-wrist).

Deeba

Thats my condition in a nut shell-it took 25-30 years from an unknown injury. How did your uncle recover as far as use of the hand?My hand/wrist new joint is 3 1/2 months old and I'm gaining strength daily.

Mark

My uncle was recovered about in 4 months perhaps, but I am really sorry that I don't remember exactly but round about the duration was 4 months approximately...

Archived