Frit Substitution Chart + Orton Cone Charts + Kiln Wash Recipes

Min

Frank Gaydos was generous enough to allow us to post his Frit Substitution Chart here on the forum. It contains a chart of some common frits with substitutions plus a lengthy list of frits with their composition. Included are Ferro, Hommel, Pemco, PotClays and PotteryCrafts. I've added a link to the DigitalFire reference list of frits to include Fusion and other frits not included in the Frank Gaydos pdf. (direct permission from the author, Frank Gaydos, obtained prior to posting here)

Frank Gaydos Frit Substitution Chart Frits.pdf

edit: posting pdf's is new here, it looks like you need to be signed in to open the pdf link

• Min pinned this topic
  • 7 months later...

Seems we are shifting between Celsius and Fahrenheit a fair bit so I'm adding Links to Orton Cone Charts in both to save people looking them up who might not be fluent in both. If anyone needs it there is some really good information regarding the behaviour of cones and how the rate of temperature increase during the final 1 1/2 - 2 hours of the firing effects the final cone, also on the links below.

Orton Cone Chart in Fahrenheit

Orton Cone Chart in Celsius

edit: There seems to be an error in the information regarding small cones in the above information to the right of the charts. "Typically, small cones will deform 7-10 degrees C earlier than a self-supporting cone, so the temperature values for a self-supporting cone can be used to determine an equivalent small cone temperature by subtracting 7-10 degrees C (or 12-18 degrees F)." This contradicts what it says in the Orton Cone Firing Booklet: "While not recommended, Orton Small Cones can also be used on the kiln shelf in place of larger cones. Because they are smaller, higher temperatures and more heat are required for them to bend (see page 19). When used in this way, the Small Cones require mounting in cone holders or plaques." 

Edited by Min

• Min pinned this topic

Recall we received clarification from Orton on small vs large cones: 

https://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/21668-kiln-sitter-cone-for-witness-cone

The website was corrected (the .pdf was ok)

The small cone description has been changed on Orton's website, now reads (emphasis added) "Small Cones used on the kiln shelf deform at about 9°F after Large or Self-Supporting Cones of the same number."

My take is still (mostly) repeatability - how the glaze and clay behaves when cone is bent thus, hence difference between large and small cones matters when a) switching to the other cone type (I like the small ones) and/or b) when sharing firing info with others.

I do remember that thread Tom, it's what made me question what the info on the cone charts says. The blurb with the charts is reading the opposite of what the Orton Booklet is, hopefully they will change the oversight. I emailed them, will update my post if they change anything.

• 3 months later...

There seems to be a fair few people lately asking about kiln wash. I'm going to pin this thread so it should be easy to find going forward. If you have a recipe and care to share it I thought a thread just dealing with kiln wash would be a good idea.This is what I have been using for about the past 20 years (electric kiln), mixed with enough water to make a runny yoghurt consistency, applied with small roller or house painting brush to high alumina shelves. Measured by weight.

alumina hydrate 50

calcined epk 25 (aka glomax) 

epk 25

• Min pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Russ said:

ve started using this last year. Its a zircon based wash. I dont think ill ever go back to the alumina hydrate/epk wash

Agreed - my experience, zircon based washes are way better. Most folks don’t even think about their old wash recipe after using A decent zircon product. Lee’s is zircon based I believe.

I used that zircopax recipe and it did not work for me, it would always flake off after the first firing and glaze drips didn't come off cleanly like with the alumina.  Got tired of reapplying and just switched to the alumina one.  Still cracks after a while but nowhere near as bad.  I really wanted the zircopax one to work because I have a 50lb bag and it was way cheaper than alumina.

Edited by liambesaw

53 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

I really wanted the zircopax one to work because I have a 50lb bag and it was way cheaper than alumina.

The Lees is so solid I can wash both sides and simply flip shelves as necessary to keep them straight. Wash stays on tight. Pricey though but great in a studio.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Min changed the title to Frit Substitution Chart + Orton Cone Charts + Kiln Wash Recipes
  • 1 year later...

If one is thinking about using commercial wash .I would make my own wash and remove with a wet sponge  before firing any commercial wash as it usually poor quality.

Speaking of quailty wash I noticed on the Advander shelve (kiln shelve.com ) site they use the same formula as I posted years ago

1/2 alumina hydrate

1/4 epk

1/4 calcined EPK or (glowmax)